Strange rebooting problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. EmuHerder

EmuHerder New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

So I got a brand new HTC Desire three and a half weeks ago from US Cellular and have been loving it. However, as of late, some strange issues have been occurring.

About five days ago, I took my phone out of sleep mode to respond to a text message, only to find I couldn't get the keyboard into landscape mode. I then found that the trackball wasn't working, and the phone seemed as if it was moving through puddy. When I tried putting it to sleep, the screen would dim but not go black. I eventually had to remove the battery to resolve the issue. The next day, the same thing happened.

Both times, the issue happened at around 8 o'clock. I thought thru what apps I had downloaded recently, and looked through Astrid To-Do. I found it had scheduled back-ups at 8 o'clock. I turned that off, hoping that it would fix my problems.

The next day, at 8 o'clock, my phone randomly restarted. That was all. No overheating, no hanging, and it booted up just fine. The next day, it rebooted again, but I don't know if it was around 8 o'clock. Today, just about an hour ago at 2:30, it rebooted again, with no overheating or any other problems.

I'm at a loss about what could be causing this. I uninstalled Astrid To-Do app completely now, but I'll have to wait to make sure that fixed anything. I have about 7 days left before my 30 day return policy kicks in, but I moved to Boston from Iowa to go to college, and I would have to mail it back, which I would prefer not to do (cost and time without a phone being the major issues).

I'm running:
    Firmware 2.1-update1
    Baseband version 2.05.10.06.29
    Kernel version 2.6.29-e9066436

If you guys have any ideas as to whether this is software or hardware, it would be much appreciated from me. My time is running up for a replacement, so I'd like to resolve this thang on my own. Thanks so much guys!

Advertisement
  2. EmuHerder

I suppose I should also mention that the restarts have only happened when the phone was asleep, never when I was actually using it. I'm also having some issues with Wi-Fi. For my college wi-fi, I had to download a certificate to my SD card. I did so and had wi-fi for a few days up until my phone started going wonky. Now I can't reconnect to the wi-fi. I'm unsure which came first, the wi-fi problem or the phone wonkiness, or if they're even related, but I thought I might as well mention it in case they are.

3. EmuHerder

Alas, after a day of no problems after deleting Astrid To-Do completely, my phone restarted once again. Once more, it was at exactly 8 o'clock. I am completely befuddled as to what could be doing this. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? It mos def sounds mostly software now, but if anyone else has any ideas, please give me a holla. Thanks!

EDIT: And it did it again, now at the arbitrary time of 12:04 am.

4. dadamoid

dadamoid New Member

Solution to random/continuous rebooting
    Hi there,

I have had an Orange branded HTC Desire for a few months now.

Recently it started occasionally rebooting. This appeared to be getting more frequent. A few days ago, it went into a continuous reboot loop and I tried removing battery SIM and SD card in combinations. No luck at all, just reboot over and over. Tried leaving it looping overnight (was suggested by someone) - that didnt work either.

I saw some people talking about ROM re-flash or sending the handset for repair. I am an electronics engineer and it didnt seem to me to be actually hardware related, especially when people reported that their "repaired" handsets were still rebooting. My battery wasnt getting super hot either.

I had installed My Backup Pro prior to this looping problem, which saves all settings, apps and data to the SD card, so I knew I had a fairly recent backup. So what I did was:

left the SIM card in but removed the SD card.

Did a hard reset (via buttons coz there was no other way out of the loop). ie remove battery, replace battery, hold down "down" volume and press power button.

When the tiny text menu came up I did a data reset, and voila, it came back to life. I refitted the SD card, restored my apps and data using My Backup Pro, which I had stored as an APK app on my PC and obviously had to be re-installed (via HTC sync) and its working fine now for two days, no reboot.

I hope this solution helps someone. If yours is just rebooting occasionally, I would suggest installing A backup program and saving everything. Then if it goes into continous loop you can get your phone back exactly as it was.

Even if its too late, it sure beats sending it back for repair.

Oh and BTW, once restored it did an Android 2.1 something update and then upgraded to 2.2 with no issues. All I had to do was reset my FB and Google accounts.

Let me know if it works for you.

Good Luck

Adam

5. OutlawEmbelm

OutlawEmbelm Member

it could also be related to the random reboot issues alot of people have been dealing with over the past months.
    to be completely honest though I haven’t been able to link people with random reboots to people with “idle reboots”. People with the reboot problem I know of almost always have it while using their phone doing the simplest of things that could never stress a phone and cause it to reboot.
    Here’s a link to the reboot club just in case.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=676402&page=53

or try on this forum
    http://androidforums.com/desire-sup...992-htc-desire-crashes-restarts-randomly.html