Strange Request from a DX user

Last Updated:

1. dorkapatamus

dorkapatamus Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,
    Lemme start by saying this forum is amazingly helpful and just a huge thanks for everyone's input. I currently have a DX and love it. I'm coming from a BB Curve so you could probably duct tape a RAZR to point & shoot and I'd think it was high tech.

My only qualm is the camera. It is total garbage in low light. I use my camera quite a bit actually, mostly out at night with friends so this is an issue for me. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post a few pics in low light settings. Even if you think it's an eye sore it can't be nearly as bad as the DX. It's really upsetting that the camera is that gimped. It's like getting a double bacon cheesburger with grilled onions & cheddar cheese served on a stale bun. WTH! at least toast the bun so I can't tell!

anyway sorry for the rant. I've tried everything and that camera is now the bane of my existence. I've got 2 weeks to return the DX for an SF. For $200, I want at least decent night shots.
    Thank you in advance!!

Advertisement
  2. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

The DX only likes pictures of cute people.

Kidding :D

3. dopepope

dopepope Well-Known Member

not sure how helpful these will be:

candle and its reflection in my mirror (night, candle is the only source of light):
    [​IMG]

dark room, natural light from the single window:
    [​IMG]

4. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

Let me know if you don't get a suitable answer OP. I have both devices right now but the DX was factory reset and the only way to take a picture would be to activate it and then call Verizon to switch it over. Kind of a pain. But I will tell you that the Fascinate isn't really going to be any better in my opinion than the Droid X. I believe there was a thread on here somewhere that compared both cameras a while back and there really wasn't a noticeable difference.

5. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

You can get past the setup screen by tapping the four corners, starting in the top left, and then working clockwise.

Its either tapping, or sliding, i forget. But it will allow you to get into the phone on the X.

6. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

low light, stock settings on Fascinate.

[​IMG]

The Fascinate takes much better pictures than my 8MP Droid Incredible does.

7. dorkapatamus

Thank you so much for posting pics! that is crazy. these photos are leaps and bounds better than the DX. Every pic I take at night looks like I'm standing behind a screen door. 2 weeks and counting... I might get a SF.

8. MutantCheese

That's odd because I know that the DX takes amazing outdoor pics and video.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

A Fascinate somewhere on the shelf in a box is beckoning, dorkapatamus (second best user name I've seen here, OldMuttonHead being #1 in my opinion :D).

10. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

Wow thats crazy.

11. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

My D1 with it's 8mp camera stinks, I thought the DX would be better (that's what I get for thinking). Lens quality is more important than MP for anything over 2mp. The OP issues solidify my decision to get the SF. Even in bright light my D1 color quality is no where close to the G4 iphone (pics taken at the identical time). Of course viewed on the beautiful iphone screen is not a fair comparo. Pics were emailed and both viewed on the laptop- D1 photo quality is marginal at best next to the excellent iphone.

12. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

Here's one taken in a pretty dark room but with flash. You can see some noise when you get to the dark sides.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Gotta love Costco

14. SirKronan

SirKronan Well-Known Member

I thought my DX and SF took pretty similar quality pics in daylight, but in low light the Fascinate was notably better. Especially when using the flash. The flash on the DX was ALWAYS too much and just destroyed any color and a good bit of detail in the process. The Samsung camera is no magical fairyland night-time picture taker either, but it is not nearly as bad as the DX.

15. dorkapatamus

yeah I'm finding this to be true as well. the DX just washes out any color and retains a lot of the noise in the background.

16. andonakis

andonakis Well-Known Member

Just be ready for horrible call quality on the SF. I'm day to day with my SF debating to get the DX because of that. But I might say the pictures I took with the SF are amazing.

17. MutantCheese

I have excellent call quality on my SF, much better than the muddy call sounds on my Incredible. I had an echo in the first couple of calls on the SF, but it went away after that...strange.