parishmc Well-Known Member

while using the S Pen for texting and other features, if i wave the pen
    over the lower right corner it activates the keys without even touching
    the screen. it only does this in the lower right corner of the screen and
    on any screen.

anyone seen this ?

i made a small video so you can see what i'm talking
    about. it's hard to see from the angle but the pen is
    at least 1/2" above the screen at all times.

DSCN2645.AVI - YouTube

Advertisement
  2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

Wow that is not normal. Does it only do it when typing or does it do it when drawing with the s-memo app?

You could try a factory reset, or if that does not work, I would get a replacement since you are still under the 30 day period
  3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Its a defective pen
  4. james27007

This has started happening to me as well, did getting the pen replaced fix it?
  5. parishmc

not sure, i decided i was crazy paying at&t $50+ more a month for the same
    plan i had with sprint and returned the Note. i'm back to my iPhone 4s and
    unlimited data.
    james27007 likes this.
  6. james27007

Well for anyone else that has this, I went back and forth with AT&T and SAmsung, basically AT&T says becasue it is an accessory, I have to call Sammy, I did and they told me it was normal :mad:. I tried the aluminum tape fix posted on you tube and it fixed it, except now the upper left corner of the screen is not sensitive enough, really makes me wonder if it is the phone now :(

Anyways, I'm going by an AT&T store later to test if it is normal, if not Sammy is sending a new pen.
  7. parishmc

the at&t store i returned it to played around with it for a while and said it was a defective pen. they tried a few other pens and they didn't do it.
    james27007 likes this.
  8. james27007

Update:

Looks like I am not the only one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1517411

I went to two AT&T stores and both display phones did this with my s-pen, but I was unable to get this to happen with the display s-pens. I called Sammy back and they want me to send in my s-pen to "test it"

We'll see what happens now
  9. bcald7

bcald7 Member

This happens to me as well. Not always, but sometimes I'll be playing Draw Something and the phone will pick up the pen as I'm going to draw a line or it picks text as I am on my way to the next character. It picks a few letters on the way. Kind of annoying, but not a deal breaker.
  10. enduser2941

enduser2941 Well-Known Member

Glad someone pointed me to this post as I am having the same issue. I am assuming based on the comments here it appears that the fix is getting a replacement pen.

What would be nice is if there were an app that could govern the sensitivity of the pen or some other coding that would help with this. I guess since this is the first Android with the pen that it's bound to have some growing pains.

I will contact Samsung tomorrow to see about a replacement pen in hopes that this problem go away. Thanks Guys.
  11. jguzek

jguzek New Member

I'm having the same problem with my S-Pen and the lower right portion of the screen. The problem is most evident with using the keyboards, swype, android or samsung will enter several periods or activate the microphone(swype) while the pen is still a 1/4 inch from the screen. Very annoying.

I'm going to swing by the At&t store tomorrow to test a different pen.
  12. bcald7

bcald7 Member

I just chatted with Samsung Tech Support about this.

He told be to do a "Soft Restart"

1.Turn phone off.
    2.Remove battery for 30 seconds
    3.Restart phone.

I did the above and so far no more issues. I'm not 100% convinced that the problem is permanently solved, but we'll see.
  13. bcald7

bcald7 Member

Nope....The problem persists.
  14. badoxiz

badoxiz New Member

Hmm I am having the same problem with my Samsung Note. Does getting a new pen really works? It seems the only way to get a new pen is by going to Samsung shop itself. Really irritating when I am trying to write something and other lines just pop up. Mine happens all over the screen and not only on the bottom.
  15. james27007

Yes it does fix it; I got a new one from Samsung and it works great. It was a serious PITA to get it replaced.

I called Samsung; they said it was an AT&T phone, so I had to call them. I called and AT&T said the S-Pen is an added accessory (I know it is not an added accessory, but whatever), so I had to go back to Sammy. After going back and forth multiple times between phone warranty and accessorie's warranty,(one time they even said this was normal :mad:) I finally ending up with the warraty department. The agent said go to your local AT&T store and try the display pens and models to see what happens, if it is a pen issue to call back and they would setup a replacement; I did and it was my s-pen. I called back and finally got them to agree to exchange it for a new one (again more back and forth). The e-label shipping label never came by e-mail and I had to call back again. I was finally able to get them to e-mail me the label and return number.

They needed me to send the old s-pen and a copy of my original receipt (you must have this) to them. It then took 3-1/2 weeks to get the new one back (not including the time going back and forth on the phone). This is one of the worst experences I had had over something that really costs Samsung $15 to make; they spent more in shipping that it was worth. But I am now using an s-pen with no issues.

If this happens again, I'm just going to use the tin foil method (it works)
  16. stringfiend

stringfiend Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any problems with my s-pen but i have been following this thread. What is the tin foil method?
  17. james27007

Here is a video
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I used aluminum foil and clear tape, that way I could move the foil till perfect then tape in place
  18. james27007

19. Jetmerritt

Jetmerritt Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have messed around with my S-pen but I pried off the button cover with a razor blade and changed the potentiometer setting. My pen seemed not sensitive enough. It is better now. I wonder if the foil does the same thing?
  20. james27007

I tried the foil thing; it made the pen usable but not perfect. Adjusting the dial is a much better way
  21. rmart1978

rmart1978 New Member

i bought my note 2 from bestbuy, in the samsung store. its got to be the pen cause the pen on my note 10.1 works perfect with my phone. if they give me a hard time ill buy a new pen and swap them out and return it lol