• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange Screen behaviour when on BT calls

jmdearras

Lurker
May 1, 2010
Hiw do you control the screen being on or off during a call? My screen blanks, I guess to keep you from hitting buttons with your ear, but when using a bluetooth headset it also blanks. Sometimes tilting the phone wakes the display, sometime the top button does. But sometimes neither hs an effect, and the screen remains off until the call is over.

Anyone else have this, and figure it out? Are there settings somewhere to control this behaviour?

Thanks,
Jim

I've been having all sorts of goofy BT problems but I was just chalking some of it up to my BT device.

1. I notice the phone kinda becomes unresponsive at times with the Bluetooth on, which would exhibit the behavior your having.

2. sometimes I have to turn Bluetooth off and on- on the phone for it to fully recognize that my Bluetooth device is a headphone and media device.

hopefully that gets looked at.

Upvote 0
The phone has a proximity sensor for when you take calls... if you look carefully you can see it next to the verizon logo on the opposite side of the LED. Whether you are on a call with BT or not... the phone uses that proximity sensor the same way as if you are holding it close to your face.

The result is, if your hand comes near that sensor, the screen will go blank cause the phone thinks you are holding it close to your head. I've tried various apps to adjust this before knowing what the cause, but since discovering out exactly what is taking place and how it's working, It no longer seems to be such an issue... just something to make note of when handling my phone while making a call with bluetooth.

so yeahh.. I know of no app that will shut off the proximity sensor during calls involving a bluetooth headset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones