Strange scrolling issue (video included)General

Last Updated:

1. Wikkus

Wikkus Member This Topic's Starter

So it's not really an issue, just a weird property of the device (even though I could do without it). I've noticed this before but didn't really put it together until today. When scrolling through anything on the phone, whether it's apps, lists, messages, web pages, contacts, etc. when my finger is on the top half of the screen it's very smooth scrolling, but when my finger gets into the bottom half of the screen the scrolling becomes choppy and isn't smooth anymore.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

anyone else seeing this?

Advertisement
  2. jumperwire

jumperwire Active Member

I couldn't get your video to work, but I have been experiencing a strange scrolling. When I am on my home screen, the phone scrolls to the far right and will fight me to move it. It also does a funny stutter of the Receive screen while using Mail. Not sure if this is the same issue?

3. Wikkus

had a setting mixed up for the video, it should work now

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Clicking the start arrow just sent me to the YouTube home page for videos.

5. Wikkus

how about just this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MweEHcQnph0

6. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

No, that's a hardware issue (though it's normally to the left?), and many people, including myself, have returned their phones for a refurbished unit because of it.

7. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

yeah I watched your video and tried to replicate it. Mine seems to scroll the same top and bottom. I would say looks like a hardware problem to.

8. skapooj

skapooj Member

After noticing some choppy scrolling on my eris recently and watching your video, I checked, and the lower half of my screen scrolls choppy while the upper half scrolls smoothly (exactly halfway down like yours). I don't know that it is worth returning the phone, though, with the poor condition of many of the refurbs that i've heard about.

9. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

yep, my pos eris has the same exact problem you've got. bottom half is choppy, top is fine. never noticed it until your vid! lol damn you.

10. Wikkus

haha, glad I'm not alone. An FYI, I restarted my phone and the problem was gone! I'm gonna have to wait to see if it shows up again, but I have a feeling it's only coming around after the phone has been on for a while..

11. talktothehandroid

talktothehandroid Member

I have this exact issue. My Eris scrolls to the left. I noticed it happens most often when I am charging and using the phone or the battery is low. This is a new issue with me since I have added a bunch of apps to my phone.

12. zerocool79346

The best that anyone can figure out is that it is a problem with the charging port becoming loose and hitting the trackball sensor causing it to scroll left. Unfortunately there is no fix other than returning the phone or living with it.

13. talktothehandroid

talktothehandroid Member

Thank you for your response :D
    I will live with it for now....

14. zerocool79346

That's what I did too for a while. It finally annoyed me bad enough that I broke down and returned and the new Eris is every bit as good as the old one, so don't let a few horror stories scare you.