Strange SD card problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Having a new and strange SD card problem, hoping someone has a possible solution.

Was using Astro to browse my SD card to try to open a QuickOffice word file. Got to the folder where the file was located, but then suddenly, Astro closed and returned me to my home screen. Also, got a message on my notification bar that said "Mounted ReadOnly. The SD card has an unexpected problem. Tapping (sic) to recover it."

Ok, well, I tapped where it said to tap and the message went away. Back in to Astro to browse the file and...same result.

Went into Settings and Unmounted the SD card, then remounted it. Back in to Astro to browse the file and...same result!!

So now I'm concerned. Used "Gallery" to browse pictures that are on my SD card...no problem. Used QuickOffice to manually open the file I was looking for in the first place...no problem. It seems that only when I go to Astro and browse does this problem occur. BTW, I also tried using Estrong File Explorer and had the same result, so I don't think it's an app thing.

Only thing I've not yet tried is going in to Clockwork Mod and unmounting/remounting SD card. Funny thing is that all my files appear intact, it just seems that for some reason, phone all of a sudden decides that the SD card is mounted "read only" (whatever that means) and is kicking me out. Dunno that I like that but...oh well.

Any thoughts?

Rooted DINC with Clockwork Mod, stock ROM, no major root apps except SetCPU.

Advertisement
  2. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Wow, that's strange. Couple thoughts...did you try rebooting? And did you try using the Windows error check utility (right-click on drive letter, select Properties, select Tools, select error checking, do NOT have it defragment the card)? I doubt somehow that you have a problem with the card itself but that would help rule it out.

3. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

Buy RootExplorer, a much better alternative to astro (i'm a recent convert to it). It allows you to mount as Read Only or Read Write, I'm thinking that could help you get past that issue.

Where was the file located? in your download folder? with astro, you cant always navigate to certain areas...Root Explorer gets past that.

4. turbomentor

Yep, tried rebooting...no joy. I'll try the error check util when I get home (thanks for the tip). Might have a bad card, I'll at least rule that out.

5. turbomentor

File was located in /sdcard/download. Astro allows me to navigate to that folder, I can even see the files that are in the folder. Then as soon as I begin to scroll...whoosh! It closes Astro and reverts to home screen.

I will try taking SD card out of the phone and plugging it in directly to my PC...see what happens.

6. AlanIL

AlanIL New Member

Exact problem has occurred when I used Astro. All files were intact, thankfully. Rebooting, manually re-mounting, etc. did not help.

Used my laptop to look at the sd card.

Used the repair option on the laptop the firsts couple of times this happened. Today, I just looked at the card "Computer" in Windows 7) and it corrected the issue.

Do the people who make Astro know about this?

Will try the other program mentioned in the thread.

7. mhtrang

mhtrang Well-Known Member

Happened to me on my old SD card with Google Maps 5.0. Bought a new SD card and it's worked like a charm. Not too sure what the problem was, but at least it went away.