Strange SMS messge

Last Updated:

1. SJW

SJW Member This Topic's Starter

I've recently been receiving SMS message from 6245 (I know - it's "MAIL" on the keypad) that says: "//BREW:0X0106DCC7:UPDCHK:MajorVersion:4.0.07.04*END"

Is anyone else receiving this, or know what it is? I received 3 of these today, and about 5 over the last several days. It seems to have happened after installing Trapster. I don't see anything on their forum that gives me any clues.
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. travva

travva Well-Known Member

if im not mistaken, brew is some type of api for sms messages. that's where my knowledge ends though.

3. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

Silly question, but what phone did you upgrade from?

The reason I ask is when I upgraded from voyager to blackberry wayy back I got those brew sms messages. The old voyager had some brew apps still requesting data from it. I believe it was backup assistant polling for a backup request. It didn't know I had upgraded phones. What you can do is reply to the sms message with the word "STOP"

That may work, it did for me on the blackberry. But later I was told it would just stop on its own after the poll request doesn't receive a response after a bunch of sms requests.

-droidosis-

4. Trapster

Trapster New Member

Unfortunately I don't know how to help fix the issue, but I can tell you that message has nothing to do with Trapster. The only SMS that Trapster sends is the confirmation code, and (if you explicitly sign up for them, set up areas on the map, etc.) speed trap, mobile speed camera, and checkpoint alerts.

BREW is an operating system used on many Verizon phones. BREW is not used in Android.

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I think droidosis is onto it. From the message it appears to be doing some kind of update check, hence the "UPDCHK" in the message.

Umm ... think of BREW as more of a lite version of Java for handsets. Although it's developed by Qualcomm, and not Sun microsystems. Chances are pretty good that you've had several phones that used BREW as part of their O/S.

6. SJW

SJW Member This Topic's Starter

Great thought on this. I upgraded from the LG Dare, and i did have the backup assistant. I know the BREW is the OS for many Verizon phones, and I knew that the message didn't apply to my Droid. I just couldn't figure it out. Glad to know it's nothing to do with Trapster. I was skeptical about it having to do with Trapster, but it started the day after installing (obviously just a coincidence).
    I'll reply back with STOP and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

7. longdaddy

longdaddy Well-Known Member

This happen to me when i switched from a dumb phone to a blackberry a long time ago texting stop never hope and and the only way i got rid of it was talking to verizon tech support they had to manually correct this its a pain in the ass to get rid of lol

8. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

//BREW:0X0106DCC7:UPDCHK:HadMorningCoffeeYet?:Yes:postOnForum%%No:GoMakeCoffee4.0.07.04*END"

9. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

:D :D :D :D :D

IIIiiiiiiiiiii LIKE IT!!! :cool:

10. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

I had this issue, Verizon cust svce said it could take up to 7 days to clear out. It did eventually I think I sent several stop messages too.