• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stream Audio from PC to phone over network?

D

Deleted User

I've looked through the forum and have had trouble finding the answer to my question.

What I want is to stream whatever audio is playing on my computer to my android over my wireless network (not over the internet). I have gmote for accessing files and that's fine, but I want it to stream other audio that gmote won't support.

Namely, I want to hear whatever is playing on my computer via audio input on my phone. For example, I have a Sirius unit that I listen to talk radio on, and I want to stream that over the network to my phone. I cannot use the sirius app because it doesn't have a pause feature like my receiver does.

Therefore, there are no files to access (as gmote does), it's more of a live stream issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

audio galaxy does just that... just not over wifi. it goes over the net. but eh. that seems to be the best option at this point

Alright thanks for the input. Yeah I searched everywhere... tried Subsonic, Gmote, and Orb. The reason I wanted to avoid it streaming over the net is because I have a bandwidth cap and that could get expensive, and really planned on just using this around the house anyway so streaming over WAN would have been perfect.

Upvote 0
Alright thanks for the input. Yeah I searched everywhere... tried Subsonic, Gmote, and Orb. The reason I wanted to avoid it streaming over the net is because I have a bandwidth cap and that could get expensive, and really planned on just using this around the house anyway so streaming over WAN would have been perfect.

Do you have a bandwidth cap on the phone or the 'net from the LAN?

Upvote 0
A very nice app called 2Player lets you share music among wi-fi connected devices on your home network. You could, for instance, play music that's on your home computer on your phone. It works with Windows Media Player.

I don't know of anything that lets you stream a third-party application from the computer to the phone. Have you tried opening Sirius in your Android's browser and clicking the "listen online" button? Should work over wi-fi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones