• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stream Music In Car

Ummm......when I connect my Phone via bluetooth to my car, my phone's music automatically plays through the car's speakers in full, unaltered, stereo quality. Bluetooth has ample bandwidth to even handle high-quality FLAC audio files. After connecting to your car's bluetooth, you should not need any kind of special bluetooth app to have your music play through your car.

Now, if you are trying to have the music play through your little bluetooth earpiece while you are in your car...that might require an app. Beware though, routing your phone's music to that earpiece will greatly reduce sound quality...sound to those earpieces is always in MONO.

Upvote 0
If your stereo has bluetooth, and it's really a stereo, then the music will stream in stereo. You shouldn't need a separate app to do that, just pair the phone with the stereo and play. If the stereo doesn't have bluetooth in it, then you have more of a problem, and would have to buy hardware to connect to the stereo to receive bluetooth. But in newer stereos, bluetooth is pretty common, and you can get one with it built in for little more than the price of one without it. I paid ~$150 for one several years ago, when it was less common, and you should be able to get one for less now, depending on the specs you're willing to pay for.

Upvote 0
Everything should play through your bluetooth....Youtube or whatever else you try. I also occasionally play Youtube videos through my car bluetooth. If you could describe exactly what you are doing in better detail and what is happening vs what you would like to happen....I believe we could help you better.

Upvote 0
If your stereo has bluetooth, and it's really a stereo, then the music will stream in stereo. You shouldn't need a separate app to do that, just pair the phone with the stereo and play. If the stereo doesn't have bluetooth in it, then you have more of a problem, and would have to buy hardware to connect to the stereo to receive bluetooth. But in newer stereos, bluetooth is pretty common, and you can get one with it built in for little more than the price of one without it. I paid ~$150 for one several years ago, when it was less common, and you should be able to get one for less now, depending on the specs you're willing to pay for.

Well, yes and no. The issue is if the stereo has the correct Bluetooth Profile. The one I have in my car is several years old and only supports the BT headset profile, so I can use it for hands-free dialling but not music streaming (a cable and aux-in port takes care of that!). You need to ensure that the stereo has the A2DP profile for music streaming, though the literature for it may just say 'streaming music' or something along those lines.

See ... What is A2DP? - Definition ....

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need any app for this. Not sure why anyone would even make an app for something like this that works natively. To me it would be like making an app that will show you what wifi networks are in the area and connect you to them. I'm sure there are apps like that out there.

Anyway, once your stereo is connected, any audio that comes out of your phone should go to the stereo. You'll want A2DP on the phone and stereo of course.

Upvote 0
My guess is all those Bluetooth music streaming apps are for Bluetooth devices that DO NOT support A2DP. So as a workaround....people are porting their music audio over to the BT Headset profile audio (which is low quality mono I believe) using apps. Maybe that is why those apps exist. Now and days....I think ALL bluetooth devices support A2DP so those apps really don't have much function and are old

Upvote 0
I have a 2010 GMC Acadia with the premium factory sound system. The owners manual did not give any reference to supporting A2DP so I am not sure.

I have been trying to play YouTube videos. I turn on my Bluetooth (have tried before and after starting car) and fire up a video and hit play. No Bluetooth connection comes up on my dash as it does when I dial a phone number. No other connection events occur that I can see either. The song plays on my phone but nothing thru the speakers. I have tried playing with Bluetooth settings on my phone and audio settings on the radio. Nothing has worked yet. Thanks for the comments thus far!

Upvote 0
So I just remembered I have a USB port in my car so I connected to it. I tried connecting both thru MTP and Camera which are the two connection types on my Nexus. Both ways my dash says "Connecting" then "Device Not Supported". I know that this is a USB connection but I wonder if my Bluetooth for streaming audio for anything but voice calls is not supported either.

Upvote 0
I think you are researching in the right direction. I would hunt around forums related to your car and find out more about the bluetooth in it. Music must play through A2DP for bluetooth.

I find it interesting that you say your car-to-phone bluetooth connects once you receive a call. Does this mean that your bluetooth then disconnects after the call has ended? Check for that in your phone under settings--wireless&networks--Bluetooth Settings while you receive/end a call.

In order to play music through your car....your phone/car bluetooth must be connected and active at ALL times. For most, this means your phone/car connect to eachother once your start your car....this usually takes place automatically (check for this as well in the settings area mentioned above)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones