Stream Video to Android from remote PC

1. shakuyi

shakuyi Well-Known Member

i want to be able to stream my video files to my phone. is there a free option for this that works well when im on the go. androrb is ok but sometimes the quality degrades as i watch a file or it streams slow

Advertisement
    :
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

well if orb ever makes a working version that will be possible....funny I had one on my windows mobile device 5 years ago that streamed video wonderfuly
  3. shakuyi

so it looks like we can use vlc media player to stream our files however i can't figure out how to setup the server. anyone else try vlc?
  4. jodaboda

jodaboda Well-Known Member

I'm using Gmote for audio, and you can supposedly do video, but i can't make it work. Maybe you can.
  5. shakuyi

i dont think it does divx videos though
  6. jodaboda

yeah, you probably can't stream divx. I don't care about videos anyway; the only time I'd watch a video on my phone is on a plane, and I'm pretty sure I won't have 3G at 30,000.
  7. shakuyi

u do have wifi on some airlines ;)
  8. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

I use Winamp's Winamp Remote... Converts files on the fly to stream them to your phone too. only issue is the screen timeout interferes with the player... Otherwise works with almost ANY file. Check it out, let us know if it works for you.

:cool:
  9. jodaboda

Winamp remote is Orb. So it isn't free (the real app isn't free, though there's a knockoff "AndrOrb" or something like that, that is).

I never saw conversion options when I tried to use it. That's cool...
  10. shakuyi

i have been using orblive and i can say its pretty superior since it has search and folders. androrb was good to get by but when u have over 600 video files it kinda sucks lol. you guys should checkout orblive if you want to do this.
  11. jodaboda

Subsonic can search too. And it uses folders for structure (not database like iTunes or WMP). I don't think it does video though...
  12. marvinrock

marvinrock Well-Known Member

Subsonic is fantastic for Audio, does not do video though. gMote does do video, but only in select formats, and it's in beta, and doesn't work too well.
  13. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I have AndrOrb. It works over wifi, but not 3g (at least not for me). It will play pretty much any file, and you can choose which codec to convert to. I found that .3gp works best on my Droid...
  14. wizrd66

wizrd66 New Member

It is Odd, I just got an Archos 70, and it has a awesome video player that see's the public video share from my windows 7 machine and I can watch movies.. It is a droid ... I hear it was cutom made by archos but shame they can't do that for the Android Phones.. It would be the Bomb....
  15. jackgibbs

jackgibbs Well-Known Member

just letting everyone know that the latest version of subsonic does indeed stream video. it uses a flash player through your internet browser.

I'm still trying it out, you get thirty days free before you have to make a "suggested donation" but so far it looks totally worth it. I got a huge 720p boardwalk empire file to play via wifi pretty seamlessly. over a network connection, I had to let it buffer before playback or it would stall. I regualar sized eastbound and down file played via network instantly.
    supercopter likes this.
  16. itsmefu

itsmefu Member

You might want to give TVersity a try. I haven't tried it with my D'Inc but TVersity has a web based library access option. After you start TVersity you could try accessing your media library via your Android devices web browser.
  17. Brewster0101

Brewster0101 Well-Known Member

Use UpNplay which works very well. This program will allow you to choose a default media player for your streaming content so Divx will work fine.
  18. lcdfreek

lcdfreek Member

I use vlc on my laptop and I can connect to my lynux Media Center box using open network stream with (http://ip: port/extern;DSL256/200) where extern is a code that will transcode the video and will reduce the bitrate to send it through a 256kbps connection in this example and the 200 is the channel that i want to watch. With all android vlc versions that i've tried they don't allow me to include the bitrate and the channel in the address they only let me put the ip and the port. Any help will be appreciated

Extern Code:

# CONFIG START
    STREAMQUALITY="WLAN11" # COPY, DSL128, DSL256, DSL384, DSL512, DSL768, LAN, WLAN{11,54}, PPC, EVDO, UMTS
    RECDIR=/captive/media/video/common/videofiles{0,1,2,3,4}
    TMP=/tmp/ExternMuxOut-$1-${RANDOM:-$$}
    # CONFIG END

mkdir -p $TMP
    mkfifo $TMP/ExternMuxOut.mp4
    (trap "rm -rf $TMP" EXIT HUP INT TERM ABRT; cat $TMP/ExternMuxOut.mp4) &

case ${1:0:1} in
    [A-Z]) IFS=: CMD=($1) IFS=
    ;;
    *) IFS=: CMD=("$STREAMQUALITY" $1) IFS=
    ;;
    esac

case ${CMD[1]} in
    d*) RECORDING="cdrom://${CMD[2]}"
    ;;
    r*) REC=$(eval find $RECDIR -name 20*.rec | grep -m 1 -i "${CMD[2]}")
    if [ -d "$REC" ] ; then RECORDING="$REC/[0-9][0-9][0-9].vdr"
    fi
    ;;
    f*) REC=$(eval find $RECDIR | grep -m 1 -i "${CMD[2]}")
    if [ -f "$REC" ] ; then RECORDING="$REC"
    fi
    ;;
    esac

case $CMD in

DSL56)
    # DSL 128/64 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ofps 30000/1001 -af lavcresample=24000 -vf harddup -of lavf \
    -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=aac \
    -lavfopts format=psp \
    -o $TMP/ExternMuxOut.mp4 -- - &>$TMP/ExternMuxLOG.log ;;

DSL64)
    # DSL 128/64 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1:tsaf:muxrate=70 \
    -o output.mp4 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -ovc lavc \
    -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:keyint=15:mbd=2:aspect=4/3 \

mp4)
    # DSL 128/64 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1:tsaf:muxrate=70 \
    -o output.mp4 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -ovc lavc \
    -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1152:keyint=15:mbd=2:aspect=4/3 \

PSP)
    # DSL 512/128 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ofps 30000/1001 -af lavcresample=24000 -vf harddup -of lavf \
    -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=aac \
    -lavfopts format=psp \

DSL128)
    # DSL 512/128 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=100 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=15:mode=3 -vf scale=160:104 \

DSL256)
    # DSL 768/256 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=128 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=15:mode=3 -vf scale=232:192 \

DSL384)
    # DSL 1024/384 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=250 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=15:mode=3 -vf scale=320:208 \

DSL512)
    # DSL 2000/512 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=288 \

DSL768)
    # DSL 3000/768 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=350 \

LAN)
    # Wired LAN 10 Mb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=4096 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=standard \

WLAN11)
    # Wireless LAN 11 Mb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=1024 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=standard -vf scale=640:416 \

WLAN54)
    # Wireless LAN 54 Mb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=2048 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=standard \

PPC)
    # Wireless PocketPC WM5*6 512 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=320 \

EVDO)
    # EVDO Rev.A 288 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=112 \

UMTS)
    # UMTS Networks 320 Kb
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=128 \

COPY)
    # Copy VDR File
    exec mencoder $RECORDING -of mpeg -ovc copy -oac copy -mpegopts format=mpe -o $TMP/ExternMuxOut.mp4 -- - &>$TMP/ExternMuxLOG.log ;;

*)
    # * File Process
    touch $TMP/ExternMuxOut.mp4 $TMP/ExternMuxLOG.log ;;
    esac

rm -f $TMP/ExternMuxOut.mp4 $TMP/ExternMuxLOG.log
  19. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I think you're going about it in too complex of a way TBH. I found that VLC Stream and Convert does the job beautifully. It's free and I just had to point it at my computer to make it work.
  20. lcdfreek

lcdfreek Member

This code description its already working on my sending end and I use Win Vlc version to play live tv through the internet, what I want to do is run android vlc as a at the receiving end and do the same
  21. cla1067

cla1067 New Member

anything that will work with linux (debian) and divx besides vlc player? I have a server that is always on.
  22. Doctorjazz

Doctorjazz Well-Known Member

Hi-I recently tried MeCanto, which I thought was free, but I read a notice by the developer that he was going to charge a monthly fee for the service (it stores media in "the cloud"). I actually like the program, seems to work smoothly and fairly quickly, but I have most of my media on my PC in various high resolution files (mostly WAV, some FLAC), and the program ignores these (so I mostly get the itunes downloads of Lady Ga Ga my teenage girls have bought). I have 3rd party media players on my Droid that will play these, I think (Mixzing, Winamp), and have a few 3rd party media programs on my PC (VLC, DoubleTwist-hated it on Android-Media Monkey, RealPlayer, Spider Player, and off and on have had Winamp (off at present). I don't mind paying for a good app, though I don't like the idea of subscribing/renting cloud space monthly. I've read VLC could do what I want, though it seem too technical for me to set up. I'm critically low on space on my Droid (both internal and storage card), have an enormous music collection (my recently deceased 80gb ipod didn't have close to enough storage), and this would be a great way to finally use my phone for music. Any suggestions/recommendations?
  23. lcdfreek

lcdfreek Member

Problem Solved Vplayer free to try, $ 2.98 Buy, working perfect
  24. MikeArms24

MikeArms24 New Member

I couldn't find the right player to do this until I decided to try to tweak some of the MyOrb settings and voila, the perfect PC to Android Streaming solution.

I recommend setting up orb on your PC, then on your android tablet or phone go to mycast.orb.com, adjust the settings to "home theater" and under streaming, flash video. These settings make Orb full screen and seamless for me at home and on the road via 3G.
  25. mmicro

mmicro New Member