Streaming Audio

Last Updated:

1. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using EStrong's File Manager and it has the ability to work over a network. I set up my Linux desktop to share my pictures and music folders. I can connect to the shares via Estrongs and view the pictures, as well as play music. However, so far I can only play 1 song at a time. Does anyone know of a music app that would allow me to create a playlist and stream it from my computer to my phone via wi-fi?

Advertisement
  2. mrkniceguy

mrkniceguy Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Subsonic. Just install the server on your Linux box and install the app. If you like it the developer requires a donation (I know, not really a donation) to use past 30 days on the phone. I've been using it for the last few months and LOVE IT!

3. cirehawk

Thanks. I installed the app on my Linux machine and installed the android app on my phone. I can't seem to connect to it though. I set up the folder that has the music I want to share. Not sure what else I need to do.

4. mrkniceguy

I'm using the Windows version so I'm afraid I can't help a whole lot with setup. I know I had to right click on the icon in the task bar and adjust some settings including the port. Sorry, not a lot of help there. Try the Subsonic forums for detailed tips.

Can you connect to the test server (should show up in the Android app)
    Can you access the subsonic server via a browser? On my windows machine it's just
    Code (Text):
    1. http://localhost
    Looks like Linux default is
    Code (Text):
    1. http://localhost:4040

5. cirehawk

Yes, I can access the test server with my android app. I also can access my server with the browser. I changed the admin password, created a new user, and set up the Music folder. I just can't connect to my server from my phone. Thanks for your help. I'll check out the forums.

6. mrkniceguy

No problem. Do you have another computer you can test it with locally? Mine worked just using my computers IP and the port I had chosen, which was 192.168.1.xxx:8080/subsonic. I had chosen to add the /subsonic because I'm also using a couple of other local servers and wanted to easily access subsonic. I also set it up with my WAN IP and have enjoyed using a friends browser to access my music. I pulled up my library and he looked at me like I was a geek god. Pretty funny.

Hopefully the forums over there will get you set up and you'll be rockin' in no time! I must say I love having my entire music library wherever I am! :D

7. cirehawk

Ah, I didn't add any port info, I only used the IP. I thought that only applied if I were streaming it over the net. In your setup, when you added /subsonic, is that what you named your server? And did you have to configure it on the server and add it to the phone?

8. mrkniceguy

I think the default for Windoze is localhost:80 but I changed mine to localhost:8180/subsonic in the Subsonic settings. I don't know now you would do it in Linux but I right clicked on the icon in the task bar (I think there should be something there if subsonic is running) and the clicked on settings. Then I stop the service, changed the info and started it back up again. Then I could access from the browser and the phone. The browser was just the localhost address (localhost:8180/subsonic) and the phone was the computers IP followed by :8180/subsonic.

For you try (your computers IP):4040 and see what you get.

9. cirehawk

Bingo! You were right on that I needed to add the 4040 port on my phone setup. I knew I needed it to access subsonic from the browser, but didn't realize I needed it for the phone too. I can now listen to music, just need to figure out the playlists. Thanks again!

10. mrkniceguy

Awesome! :D Glad to help. Enjoy rocking out wherever you dang well please! :D

Just in case you wanted to use Subsonic on your mobile network, you can use your WAN IP or you could set up a service through No-IP.org. Or, with a donation you get your own subdomain on subsonic.org which is really great.

Whatever you choose, glad to hear you've got it working. :)

11. cirehawk

Yeah, I was looking at that last night. Seems to me the easiest route is to donate and get a subdomain on subsonic. I assume it's fairly secure.

12. mrkniceguy

I believe so, all access is restricted by your usernames and passwords, not sure beyond that.