1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming files from NAS?

Last Updated:

1. treb63

treb63 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Are there any apps to help stream movies/music from my networked attached storage drive.

I can do this with my Iphone but the files need to be of a certain format?

Advertisement
  2. xdmanalo

xdmanalo Well-Known Member

Estrongs File Explorer + server = LAN access to data from shared folders on client computers.

In regards to file format, check compatible file types for your particular phone.

3. treb63

treb63 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Many thanks for that however I'm not totally sure it will do the job required. My network storage is plugged directly into my router, this can be accessed from my Iphone without any computer being on and files browsed and played from an app within the iphone however very limited to file types.
    Does Estrong system require I install a server on the PC which will be off when I wish to stream?

4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

With Estrongs you don't need a client on your PC.
    I use Estrongs with my NAS over WiFi.

But "streaming" works only with formats, which can play the stock media player.
    With other formats (e.g. avi) I copy the file to the SD card and use RockPlayer for playing.

Harry

5. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

I use UPnPlay. Its currently in Alpha so has a few issues (I think video streaming may beone of those) but works with music and photos fine. Found my NAS drive instantly and no messing around with settings

Also, in a similar way to Estrongs, I use Astro file manager with the SMB add-on