Streaming media from local network drive

1. dickey38

dickey38 Member

I want a media player that will play streamed media from a local network attached drive. What app would I need for that? Is there a tutorial on this subject?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Hi dickey. :wavey:

I haven't tried streaming like that but this video may help you out.

I'll also move your thread to the Android Applications forum to see if you can get some more ideas.
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

MediaHouse will let you do that but it doesn't handle playback itself. It will use whichever video player you have installed though, so long as the file format is supported.

If your NAS has TwonkyServer built-in, there's Twonky Mobile.
    Atma likes this.
  4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

ES File Explorer can do this too - stream LAN content to your chosen media player.
    Atma likes this.
  5. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

Interesting. Is there anything that ES File Explorer can't do? I'll have to try that.

I may have learned that today, but I came to this thread to suggest Plex. It's a lot of hassle if all you want to do is stream files to your Android but it can really do a whole lot of cool stuff if you're interested in other streaming of local files as well as live channels streamed from the internet. You install the Plex Media Server (free) on your computer and you can add a ton of channels as well as your local content, then you can watch it from a web browser anywhere or from a mobile device using their app (which, unfortunately, is not free). If you have a modern smart TV you can probably stream to that. I don't, but I have a Roku, I stream to that and it displays on my old-fashioned 27" CRT...
    Atma likes this.