• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Streaming movies for answer to root question

luv2drnkbr

Lurker
May 10, 2010
Hello, I recently got a Moto Droid with 2.1 already installed on it. I have installed many apps, and also paid for some apps from the Market. I am decently tech savvy and willing to risk bricking my phone attempting to downgrade, root, re-upgrade and use a ROM, but my main question is will all my apps stay on the phone during this process, or does this process just wipe the phone completely? If it wipes the phone is there a way to back up my Apps index or something so I don't have to buy the apps twice? I'm fairly new to this, so if anybody could provide an explanation, I'd really appreciate it.

For your help, and in an attempt to not get flamed or banned for posting in the wrong forum or not finding the answer via "search" before posting, I have a quick and dirty guide to streaming your downloaded movies to your phone...

I assume most people here will know that the Droid only plays MP4 files, but if we are going to stream movies, they need to not only be in MP4 format, but the quality needs to be cut decently in order to be able to stream the movie without pausing every few seconds while more downloads. Using whatever program you use to convert, set it to H.264 MP4 (obv), with dimensions of 427x240 (for 16:9), with a video bitrate of 256, and audio sample rate of 24kHz, and audio bitrate of 96.

That sounds like it should make it so crappy it's unwatchable, but I found it to be very decent. Now you need to use a program which does something to the MP4 file that makes it able to stream. (I'm not quite clear on the technical details--apparently the time index is at the end of most MP4 files and this program moves it to the front, which is required for streaming). I use something called MP4 FastStart (http://goo.gl/ru7m).

Now you need a place that will let you upload a file and have a direct link for it. I have free accounts with Dropbox and SugarSync, both of which give you 2gb free, and have Android Apps. These aren't necessary--if you know of another way to upload a file and get a direct link, use that, but these work well, and a full movie with the specs I gave is about 250mb, so you can fit about 16 movies with the free accounts. Now go into the Android apps for those sites and just click to open them in the browser (or open the browser and point it to the direct link of your player), and stream the files with the movie browser. It only takes 5-10 seconds usually for me using the 3G before it starts playing, and so far I haven't had one pause for need of loading more data. And the quality is just fine.

I hope some of you find this useful, and more importantly, I hope you can answer my questions about whether the rooting process will wipe my phone and get rid of my apps, and if so, anything I can do to get them back.... Thanks!

Reactions: xmr405o
Thx for the tip I will try what you said, haven't got a dropbox acct ye tho. Anyway u most likely will lose your apps. Get Titanium backup from the market. It will backup and restore all your apps. The donate version is sweet cause it restores them all at once not one by one. For your paid apps you don't have to buy them again just go to the market and download, the market already knows you bought them. But if u get Titanium it restores everything anyways.

Upvote 0
You will not lose your apps, go to Settings>Privacy and make sure "Back up my settings" is checked. Make sure everything is synced: Contacts, etc. before you do this, and even if this doesn't work, you can just redownload some of your apps from the market. All your purchased apps are always remembered in the Google Market. Also, you can keep your apps all on your phone if you just plan to root (and not install a new ROM). I recommend this thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html . If you intend to install a mod, then you won't even need to go into the ADB push stuff; you just need to intall a ROM that includes the root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones