Streaming radio weirdness...Support

Last Updated:

1. drmull

drmull Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks - Happy Thanksgiving.

When I try to listen to streaming radio on the Evo, it sounds like it's at half speed or slower...in other words, useless.

What's going on with that?? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Just because you may have a good signal doesn't mean the radio station is broadcasting a high quality stream. Is there a way to check the bit rate you are getting?

3. fourgee

fourgee Active Member

This started around the 1st week of November. I listen to a radio show 3-4 times a week, streaming from the radio stations web site on my browser. One day I went to the streamer and it sounded like an old 45 speed record playing on 33 speed. REAL SLOW! Perfectly clear, great fidelity, no static, no digitizing, nothing. Just real slow.
    I called Sprint and they told me they were having Data problems w/the network and they were working on it. Around that time everyone was posting Data issues so I just decided to wait & see if they would fix it. They did... but not for THIS problem.
    I even tried a couple other EVOs that friends & family have and they all do the same thing. It doesn't matter WHAT radio station's site you go to & click "Listen Live" they all sound like a bad 60's acid trip.
    After countless calls to Sprint (just keep pounding "0" till a human answers) and the incessant, mind numbing transfers... HOURS of "try this, try that", they concluded that it was an "update" problem with Android.
    ***GIVE ME A _ _ _ _ ING BREAK!!!***
    So bottom line is they have NO CLUE (take that as you will) how to fix the problem so they've washed their hands of it.
    "YOU ARE S.O.L."
    The most frustrating part is that the EVO is STILL the most awesome phone I’ve ever seen and (gulp!) Sprint still has the best customer service of all the carriers.

4. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Maybe you should try finding the station through an app rather than the browser. I use TuneIn Radio and never have had problems with sound unless I had poor reception or the radio station was only out putting a weak feed. Even a 28kb feed sounds good on my phone.

5. fourgee

fourgee Active Member

I've tried. The radio show I listed too is even nationally syndicated and I can't find it anyplace on my EVO except to stream it from a web site.

6. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

If you want, I can try the station on my phone and see if I have a problem too. Otherwise all I can think is to try a different browser.

7. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

If the show is broadcast on any am/fm station, between Iheart and TuneIn you will get it. Between the two apps they cover all US stations.

8. fourgee

fourgee Active Member

SURE! Like I said, just use your browser to go to any radio station's web site & click "Listen Live". I would be interested to know if anyone can stream live audio from any radio station's web site on the EVO.

9. fourgee

fourgee Active Member

JD.. YOU ROCK! FOUND IT!!
    KDWN Las Vegas streams on "TuneIn".

10. jamesdean

There you go.

11. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Glad you found it, you must have overlooked it the time I suggested it and you said you tried.

12. fourgee

fourgee Active Member

"Tried" being relative to the specificity of your post.
    I had 10 different streaming apps. TuneIn wasn't one of them. Never heard of it before JD's post.

13. jamesdean

The bottom line is that you solved the problem, however, in all fairness EVO did reference TuneIn in a prior post to mine.

14. boteman

boteman Well-Known Member

Although you found a work-around...FWIW I operate 3 police/fire scanner online streaming feeds using Icecast, which is what a number of radio stations use to stream their programs.

When I was recording my introductory and fallback mp3 files I was not careful a couple times to match their format with that of my live stream, so when I listened to my feed as a test it played the recording with its format, then when it switched to the live stream it sounded like your symptoms of a slow tape playing back.

The player had configured itself for the bitrate of the recorded introduction which was faster than the live stream, so the live stream came out sounding slow. It sounds like in your case the player is misinterpreting the format of the stream so it configures itself for the wrong bitrate or bit depth.

Either way it is a software problem that the developers will have to correct. I can't believe that a ton of radio stations suddenly messed up their feeds on the same date.

I'm still searching for a generic streaming audio player for Android, but the few that I have sampled leave something to be desired.