Streaming video via Wifi.

Last Updated:

1. RedBob62

RedBob62 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the HTC Desire Black from Orange and have been trying to get it to stream video over Wifi. I have tried various aps (e.g. RealPlayer, MyPlayer, Streaming Media Player etc) and can get them to work via 3G but not Wifi. I have also tried using Yamgo via the native browser, Opera and Dolphin, all with mobile sites enabled, but again with no luck via Wifi. I can however watch YouTube fine via Wifi.

My guess is it is something to do with port settings but being over 40 and a techy novice I am not really sure where to start.

Has anyone got any ideas of what else I should try before I resort to hitting the Desire with a big stick!!! :(

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I use Estrongs File Explorer for access per wifi on my nas.
    Estrongs has a work-around for playing videos on lan shares.
    It copys the video file temporarily on sd card and starts the stock player.

Haven't found a better solution.

Harry

3. RedBob62

RedBob62 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've got to the bottom of the problem so will post solution in case it helps anyone else.

The problem was down to my router which is a Draytek. I came across a forum for TVCatchUp which suggested that “If you are using a Draytek (and some other routers), these routers block our streams. The simplest way to get the streams working over WiFi is to place your phone in a DMZ.”. I have now done this with the Desire and have got Yamgo and TVCatchUp working like a dream over wifi.

4. sare99

sare99 Well-Known Member

What is a DMZ?

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Basically it opens a direct connection through your router to which ever device you select, ie you don't get protected by your routers firewall.

6. sare99

sare99 Well-Known Member

OK thanks :D

7. nyle

nyle Member

It stands for De-Militarized Zone, what it means is that all TCP connection ports are open to the IP that you specify as in the DMZ. This is often used when running a server that hosts TCP services that is behind another firewall already.

This can pose security issues but probably not on Android.

-Nyle