• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Streaming video??

GalaxyS2Kent

Sep 2, 2011
England
As an Amazon Prime customer, I've been offered free videos via streaming. I've looked at the website but can't quite understand it. For example, will it chew up my data usage monthly limit? Does anyone know how much a typical movie would use? I assume you have to have wifi connection to view their video, but our broadband provider (BT Infinity) limits us to 500mb per month. We've never used all of it, but am not sure what watching a streaming video would do.

Thanks for any answers, tips, etc.

Doh! Sorry.... it's 20 GB, not 500 MB (that was on my Tesco Mobile). Still isn't that much. No movies for us, then.

Depending on how much data you normally use you could probably still watch a few movies per month, but if Amazon lets you choose the video quality pick SD (360p, 480p) instead of HD (720p, 1080p) to reduce data usage.

Many ISPs keep track of your monthly usage, you could check with BT and see what you use every month - if you only average 8-10GB you can enjoy some films :)

Reactions: GalaxyS2Kent
Upvote 0
Amazon does not have a Android app for Prime streaming, it's only available on their branded tablets and apple devices.

You will need to have flash installed and watch via their website using a browser such as Dolphin or Firefox, unfortunately you may experience issues with streaming as flash for android is no longer supported by Adobe.

Reactions: GalaxyS2Kent
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones