Street Address Recognition from a web site

Last Updated:

1. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all.

This may be an android question, but I have the Droid, so I thought I would pose it here. I am brand new to the smart phone world, so I am simply blown away by the Droid. One thing that I really like is the way it can recognize a phone number, an email address or an address from the web browser and automatically pull up the proper application.

Based on that, I have written a small mobile web site in order to gain access to my addresses on my work database. It works really well for everything except a street address. I believe the that the issue has to do with the fact that Utah street addresses are often grids, ie:

11111 South 11111 East

These are not recognized as street addresses and therefore I can not click to navigate to the address from the web browser.

First of all, this needs to be fixed in my opinion. :)

Second of all, is there a way that you can specifically tell the browser that this is an address. For instance I have found that I can specify a telephone link with:

<a href="tel:x-xxx-xxx-xxxx">

Which isn't really needed as phone numbers are automatically recognized and pull up the proper application.

Is there a way to specify a street address or a navigation app?

Advertisement
  2. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

If you do not find another solution, you might consider My POI from the market. It is a paid application, about 1.50 US and allows you to search a location and then either display on map or navigate to it. The developer worked with me to import my database and it works great.

3. darrin2520

Thank you for the reply. I will look into that a bit. I am hoping to find a solution that can use my database in real time and I am actually pretty satisfied with what I have so far except for this little glitch. I can always just copy and paste into maps, but I am really trying to figure out why some addresses will be recognized and pull up the navigator and others won't.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is ... If I put one of those wacky Provo, Utah addresses in Google Maps, I get directions.

Let me ask you this, how many addresses are we talking about here?

5. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

I think hes sayin his website he made is not accepting it as an address, so it's not making it an address link that he can click on to open google nav. I don't know jack about web design so........yah

Found this it might help.

taddr=[destination street address number]+[destination street name]+[destination street type].

tcsz=[destination city name]+[destination state/province]+[optional destination zip or zip+4]

tcountry=[origin US or CA]

I think it should look something like this.

taddr=2030+Main+St&tcsz=Glastonbury%2C+CT+06033&tcountry=us

Use at your own risk...:D Like I said I know jack about web design.

6. darrin2520

Exactly. The map app works fine with MOST of the whacky addresses, but they are not recognized as such in a browser like other addresses. So you can't click on them to automagically pull up the map app.

Decus - this looks interesting. Do you have a link or anything else where you go this info from? It appears to be a url link of some sort, but I would like to see if I could find out more.

Thank you!

7. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

utah eh! i am in utah as well but have no real knowledge on this subject, everything has worked thus far for me, clicking get to the courthouse or make a call to their (haha i sound like a deviant!) etc etc... its all worked so i dunno how to make that work, maybe capitalize things that should be? not sure? could be the way commas are used and recognized on droids browser?

also, agreeing with you, this feature rocks, pull up email addresses, phone numbers, street addresses all just with a click!

8. darrin2520

Yeah extremely cool feature, but I can't find a rhyme or reason to why it won't work all the time, esp with the double grid addresses. I've tried all sorts of layouts, abbreviations, capitalization, etc.

I'll keep looking. This mobile web stuff is actually really useful and with stuff like this allows you to expand your phone very easily.