• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

StriPad, a free application launcher

Hello,

I've made an application launcher to replace the inefficient standard one. Mine is designed to minimize the time needed to find, launch, uninstall, or see on the market the applications you use.

It is described and downloaded there : StriPad, a more efficient application launcher

Here are a few screenshots :

device_005_001.png

device_005_007.png

device_011_004.png

device_011_006.png

device_010_006.png

device_011_001.png

So I'm looking for beta-testers who could help me improve my application and check that there are no bugs. :D

Tried it quickly, here are the things that (I think) should be improved:

1. Icons are too small on my display (Desire), hard to hit with my big fingers. 60 of them are displayed on the screen, which is much more than I need.

2. Stripes cannot be added/deleted (?). Version I've installed came with 5 unnecessary stripes labeled 'He?'

3. Touch & Drag is used for both scrolling and icon moving, which I find a bit confusing (but would probably get used to it after a while)

4. Some applications come from sources other than official market - which (among other things) means they cannot be uninstalled there - option to open app manager with chosen application would be great.

5. I had one application crash when draging the icon.

6. Standard launcher (and its common replacements) are not just launchers - they are widget-homes. Almost everyone uses widgets and got used to them. This means that your app is most likely not going to be used as a home replacement in its current state - but this is OK, it is still useful as an addition to the 'home' - just keep this in mind when developing it further - is it usable along with other launchers? Could it be quickly accessed? (Currently: true; false)

Upvote 0
Tried it quickly, here are the things that (I think) should be improved:

1. Icons are too small on my display (Desire), hard to hit with my big fingers. 60 of them are displayed on the screen, which is much more than I need.

2. Stripes cannot be added/deleted (?). Version I've installed came with 5 unnecessary stripes labeled 'He?'

3. Touch & Drag is used for both scrolling and icon moving, which I find a bit confusing (but would probably get used to it after a while)

4. Some applications come from sources other than official market - which (among other things) means they cannot be uninstalled there - option to open app manager with chosen application would be great.

5. I had one application crash when draging the icon.

6. Standard launcher (and its common replacements) are not just launchers - they are widget-homes. Almost everyone uses widgets and got used to them. This means that your app is most likely not going to be used as a home replacement in its current state - but this is OK, it is still useful as an addition to the 'home' - just keep this in mind when developing it further - is it usable along with other launchers? Could it be quickly accessed? (Currently: true; false)

Same.. all this.

However I would use this as a replacement to the standard launcher if it was cleaned up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones