• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

strong cases for moto droid

im really looking at cases for this phone, and curious as to what the best "strongest" cases are out there so far, i am really eye balling these 2

BoxWave Black Armor Motorola DROID Case link to case
video of case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf5tstl_zBY

PDair Silver Aluminium Metal Motorola DROID Case link to case
video of case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVbI1MfAogE

please forgive the man in the video for really stabbing at the screen with his freddy krouger finger nails and making it look like its impossible to pull the apps menu out lol

the only thing i dont like about this case is the fact its a 1 piece design. technically that will add more strength to the design but it also means i have to pop it open in order to use the physical keyboard, and that kinda worries me but at the same time im new to the keyboard world and smart phone world and just started to use the digital keyboard with "smart keyboard pro app" and really starting to enjoy it more, tend to find myself not correcting myself all the time like on the physical.

is there any metal 2 piece designs? or is this the only metal? i googled it quickly but didnt find anything else out there really.

and i know not the strongest but i thought it was kinda nice and intresting looking haha

MOTOROLA DROID METALLIC GREEN SNAP ON COVER CASE

never thought of the hinge being a pocket problem, but i could definatly see that happening.

another nice case i like is the

seidio innocase

but covers i do want to avoid are like body gloves and any rubberized coated ones because my pants do fit tight to me and rubberized phones just dont come out of pockets very nicely. always get my fingers tied up or the pocket will come with the phone lol

Upvote 0
I had looked at these cases a while back, however the current design just turns me off of them. I really want a case that prevents the phone from opening though as I don't use the keyboard much.

If a few things were modified I'd be really tempted, and those things are:

1. Modify the hinges so they are more a part of the sides, rather than sticking out so far. I'm sure it's possible to make them smaller, you really don't need hinges that big on a case that's really not intended to be opened often.

2. Instead of a clasp, which could potentially break or become loose, just make the side opposite the hinge snap together. This way when it closes it would be pretty flush, and just have indentions you can "grab" with your fingertips to pop it back open.

3. Get rid of the cutout on the bottom of the phone. I really don't see the purpose of it. They already have the mic cutout on the top piece, and there's nothing else on the bottom aside from the radio antennas, which I don't think would really be affected by a solid case over them.

4. While the cutout for the camera/flash looks ok, it still looks a little close to the flash which makes me wonder if it causes a reflection when the flash goes off while trying to take a picture.

While this phone really doesn't need a case, these are the type I would want if I ever did get one. Covers the entire phone, instead of leaving a gap between the screen/base where dust can still get in. Keeps the keyboard closed, although mine doesn't open much, and appear to be more rugged in the event of a drop.

Upvote 0
I grabbed a Piel Frama iMagnum case around the holidays. 25% coupon + pre-order price brought my final cost down to just under $50. List (cases.com) = $73, but see coupon info below. Cut outs are perfectly situated. Excellent protection per padding, but it doesn't really add much bulk. Very easy to get the Droid in and out, yet it's securely held in. (I have, but don't use, the clip-on mechanism.)

Motorola Droid cases PIEL FRAMA

MOTOROLA DROID CASES - Motorola Droid Cases and Accessories (mid-way down page)
20% off and free shipping now thru March 18th for green or black cases.
$73 >>> $58.40

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones