• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck between Blackberry Torch and HTC Inspire Help!

Kuhns787

Android Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2010
Oregon
Help! I have been back and forth between my HTC Inspire and my Blackberry Torch. I can't afford to keep both of them but there are features I love about both of them. I love being able to have pushed email on my torch and when I read the email it marks it read on the inbox on my computer. I also like the Facebook app on the Torch much better then the HTC. I also like the bright blinking led when I get a message. However I love the texting on the HTC and the screen is amazing and the cutomized widgets as well are great. What should I do? I need to make a choice I can't keep switching back and forth. I would appriciate any input

If it was hands down then I wouldn't be stuck. If I could get the Inspire to do the things I need it to do for email then I would be happy but how do you make it mark an email read in your inbox on the server? I really want my work email pushed to my phone. Sometimes when I sent an email from the inspire it sends them to everyones junk folders. Do I have it set up wron? We have a web based email but a strange zimbra application and so far the only phone that works the way it needs to with it is the blackberry. I also would like a push for facebook the only one close that I have found is Flow the paid version?

Upvote 0
yeah flow is the only app i have found that does the push notifications for fb. only downside is it doesnt have chat. other than that it works flawless.

as for the email, i use k-9 fo my email. there is an option in the settings. when you set up your account in k-9 open the email folder for the account in k-9, then tap menu-more-settings-account settings-fethcing mail, then under When I delete a message your options are: Do not delete from server, delete from sever, or mark as read on server.

so choosing option 2 or 3 when you delete the email from your phone would then either delete it from the server or mark it as read on the server which you would then have to delete when you are on your computer.

i went with option 3 so that way i know what i have read and can just delete accordingly later

Upvote 0
I have owned and used all 3 and Black berry is my favorite, it just makes the most sense to me. I have a torch and it is the most functional phone for me. Yes I would like a bigger screen with better resolution and a faster processor, but the email works flawless for me on the BB, I can't live without a keyboard and the social feeds and social scope is better than anything that Android has to offer. I have been not able to find anything that gives me a time stamp for posts. The track pad is priceless too. It is so much easier to fix a mistake than using your finger to to correct typing mistakes. I love the fact that I can close programs and get 2 days of use with the BB. I find that the contacts works better and is more efficient. For me the only plus for the android was google maps. Good thing work is only a mile away.

Upvote 0
I had two Blackberrys, the bold and then the torch. I got the torch the day it came out and loved it at first, but after about 6 months it started messing up here and there. And I just over looked it as it's a phone and all tech stuff has issues some times. But over the next couple of months it just got worse and worse, I had called ATT, Blackberry and they both said that there was nothing wrong with my phone that they could find. Now where I live I don't get the best signal in the world but have enough to download andbtalk on the phone, but it seemed no matter where I was or what I was doing it would drop the call. The phone kept putting the call on speaker, muting, trying to add another caller to the conversation. It would go into the home screen, and I would be touching things with my cheek. It's got to the point where I got a home phone so if I wanted to talk on the phone I had people call me on it and not my cell phone. The torch was a great phone for me one cause I like to have a touch screen but really didn't want to give up on the keyboard, since I had played with my husbands iPhone and didn't really like the touch keyboard. So about two weeks ago it got to the point where I couldn't use my cell phone for anything it would freeze, the touch screen wasn't responding to my touch, it would start playing music out of no where and couldn't find out where it was coming from and the only way to get it to stop was to pull the battery.

I had some medical problems come up in the last week so I have been on the phone lots of doctors and family and I every time and I mean every time I got on the phone itnwould drop the call or mess up and I finally had I couldn't take it any more. I told my husband that I wanted to go to ATT to look at a new phone, had no plans on getting on then just wanted to see what was new and get an idea of what a wanted. But I ended up walking out with the HTC Inspire, and all I can say is OMG why didn't I do this a long tine ago.

After having the phone now for almost a week I will NEVER to back to a blackberry. They are slow, and out of date. Things that took me a few minutes to do on the blackberry take me seconds now. The keyboard is really easier to use, it is different but going from a physical to touch but once you use it for a few days I thinks its much easier. And I love the fact that I can have lots of app and games on my phone and it doesn't slow it down. Yes the battery life isn't as great but I will deal with it for all the other things I get.

So far such a long post but I really need to say me piece.

Upvote 0
IMG-20110419-00002.jpg
Torch
IMAG0099.jpg
Inspire

Upvote 0
IMG-20110419-00002.jpg
Torch
IMAG0099.jpg
Inspire

My husband is a tech genius and he can't even get my torch to take picture like that. The only time I have been able to get my torch to take a picture even close to that was when I wasn't holding it, and it didn't move at all. I take lots of pictures, and my inspire kicks butt. The only other cell phone I know that takes good pictures is my husband iPhone 4 with the HD.

Video on the torch is even worse. I took a video with my torch and a video with my inspire and is was like black and white. The torch is very low res, the video was blurry, and my inspire was very clear.

Upvote 0
My husband is a tech genius and he can't even get my torch to take picture like that. The only time I have been able to get my torch to take a picture even close to that was when I wasn't holding it, and it didn't move at all. I take lots of pictures, and my inspire kicks butt. The only other cell phone I know that takes good pictures is my husband iPhone 4 with the HD.

Video on the torch is even worse. I took a video with my torch and a video with my inspire and is was like black and white. The torch is very low res, the video was blurry, and my inspire was very clear.
That pic was taken with 100% default settings (actually, both were), and hand held. I'd be happy to take a video of myself taking a picture and posting it. My Torch has a much better camera than my Inspire--no question about it.

Upvote 0
That pic was taken with 100% default settings (actually, both were), and hand held. I'd be happy to take a video of myself taking a picture and posting it. My Torch has a much better camera than my Inspire--no question about it.

I have never messed with the setting on either of mine. And I'm glad that yours takes great pictures but mine didn't. It wasn't a total deal breaker for me when I got the phone but after having many many other issues with the phones, the bad just out weighed the good on the Blackberrys. Like I had said before if your happy with the phone you have, then more power to you. I have just had two, well 3 Blackberrys and all of them had problems. And I got tired of just dealing with it. I wanted a phone that worked, which is why I had an Andriod now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones