• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck in 1.5!! No option to update.

fembot3000

Lurker
Sep 8, 2010
My phone does not give me the option to upgrade software. I do not want to do it via my computer because I will lose everything. Has anyone else figured out a way to get around this?! My phone desperately needs to be updated. I hate it and I don't want to have to hate it. Please help!

Thanks Kelmar, I <3 bacon too!

I've gone to this page a couple times in the past week just to make sure I'm not missing anything. It tells me how to upgrade on my phone. The problem is...I don't have the option to update my software. It's nowhere to be found. This link then says that if I don't have that option, I have to upgrade via my computer. That's what I'm trying to not do. Have you ever heard of any sneaky way to get around this or fix this or something? I REALLY don't want to have to back-up everything on my phone and then have all of my settings and apps deleted.

Upvote 0
2.1 can only be done over a computer. It's not an OTA update.

You should be looking at the first link that says:
Software Update for the HTC Hero with Google
Provides updates to your HTC Hero, including the Android 2.1 update.
The software upgrade posted below provides several key enhancements for your HTC Hero:
Upgraded OS to Android 2.1

Upvote 0
Okay, I am trying to upgrade but am not afraid to use my pc. However, I cannot get past the HTC Sync step. It says I am disconnected? I have the phone mounted, and it appears to have installed the drivers for a USB mass storage device. The version of Sync is 2.0.5, it came on the phone. What am I missing?

eta - oh, and the phone can't see the pc either

ETA2 - well, I don't know what happened but all of a sudden it's all connected now. N/M

Upvote 0
Hey 2horses. I'm going to try and upgrade my phone via my computer tonight actually. I remember trying to connect my phone to my comp a few months ago and it was all wonky and kept trying to open Microsoft Outlook and crap, so I gave up. I'm sure I'll run into problems too. I'll let you know what happens! In the meantime, will you post any workarounds you may find? Thanks!

Upvote 0
My phone does not give me the option to upgrade software. I do not want to do it via my computer because I will lose everything. Has anyone else figured out a way to get around this?! My phone desperately needs to be updated. I hate it and I don't want to have to hate it. Please help!

Dude, all you have to do is download mybackup from the market and save all your stuff, then restore it after the update. It really doesn't take very long. With rooting and reflashing I probably did it 20 times, lol, so I got kinda good at it.

Upvote 0
Does mybackup save contacts as well?

Yes, mybackup will, but your phone is an Android, they're automatically saved to google. When you reset the phone and log in to your gmail account it will automatically pull it all back down, assuming of course that you have sync enabled, which it is by default. Hell, it even pulls your speed dials back down again.

Upvote 0
No, I'm looking to synch my work (exchange) contacts, numbers that I had to manually add when I first got the phone. They are not in my google contacts - nor do I want them to be! And they are not in Active Directory - although as the systems admin I may need to look into doing that, for all of my smartphone users. It's a cell phone list originally maintained by Sprint for our company, if you can believe that!

Upvote 0
No, I'm looking to synch my work (exchange) contacts, numbers that I had to manually add when I first got the phone. They are not in my google contacts - nor do I want them to be! And they are not in Active Directory - although as the systems admin I may need to look into doing that, for all of my smartphone users. It's a cell phone list originally maintained by Sprint for our company, if you can believe that!

Ah! Sounds like you've got it set up a different way. Unless you have sync turned off, those contacts are probably already in your gmail account. Log in from a computer and look.

But yes, mybackup can save your contacts, calendar, etc. I guess it never occurred to me that anyone would want to separate their Android from gmail, since that's one of the main advantages for me.

Reactions: 2horses
Upvote 0
Just updated last night. Wiped everything. I used MyBackup beforehand and saved EVERYTHING, including all of my text messages. But, I have no clue how to get them all back. Tried using Astro file manager to figure out how to get all this data off of my SD card and back onto my phone, but half of the stuff that MyBackup saved to my card were invalid files. I was only able to retrieve all of my pics (they automatically reappeared, which was the only thing that did that) about half of the apps that I backed up. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Just updated last night. Wiped everything. I used MyBackup beforehand and saved EVERYTHING, including all of my text messages. But, I have no clue how to get them all back. Tried using Astro file manager to figure out how to get all this data off of my SD card and back onto my phone, but half of the stuff that MyBackup saved to my card were invalid files. I was only able to retrieve all of my pics (they automatically reappeared, which was the only thing that did that) about half of the apps that I backed up. Oh well.

AUGH!! Don't touch that data!

Download mybackup from the market again and just use the RESTORE feature. That's kind of the point, mybackup does it all for you. :)

Upvote 0
Agh! Thanks for the info. Just did that, but the only thing that I could restore were the apps that I already restored manually. When I try to restore "Data" from my SD card, it says "No BackUp sets were found on SD card." I'm using the free version, so I guess you get what you (don't) pay for!!

it's probably cuz you messed with the data already... :( If the location and file name aren't EXACTLY RIGHT, it won't know where to look.

Try rebooting once and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Amazingly, I rebooted and my phone is now acting crazier than before. I thought this upgrade would fix it, but I think there's more going on. I just got it in February! Android phones are not cool. Thanks for all your help!

No problem. Androids are cool, you probably just have something weird going on.

Upvote 0
Okay, just backed up my contacts and for the heck of it, my apps too, to my SD card using the trial version of mybackup. Onward and upward with the upgrade!

One thing I did do is verify that all my contacts were in the zip file, using the view feature on mybackup. I think the restore will go fine (hopefully). If it does, I will probably buy the program, I have two android phones and whoooole bunch more stuff on my other one (Droid X) that I don't want to lose.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Upvote 0
Okay, just backed up my contacts and for the heck of it, my apps too, to my SD card using the trial version of mybackup. Onward and upward with the upgrade!

One thing I did do is verify that all my contacts were in the zip file, using the view feature on mybackup. I think the restore will go fine (hopefully). If it does, I will probably buy the program, I have two android phones and whoooole bunch more stuff on my other one (Droid X) that I don't want to lose.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Yup. MyBackUp works flawlessly if you don't mess with anything before you restore. I paid for it too. This program is ESSENTIAL once you start root and start wiping and reflashing ROMs every week, lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones