• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck in 1X

I've had issues dropping everything (won't even default to 3G) twice, but nothing since my last post on Thurs.

If the you try the airplane and CDMA modes and that doesn't work then I'd try Verizons reboot (instead of hard reboot which will erase all settings) first, then hard reboot. but as indicated in my last post it took awhile after my hard reboot for my coverage to work again (~30 mins). otherwise you could try popping the SIM card in and out- not sure if that will work. I'm in the middle of Raleigh and doing pretty good the past few days. I haven't ventured far, should be interesting when I go to bumf*ck Virginia next week....it better default to 3G or I'm not going to be a happy camper. I guess nav works in this phone either way? I'm switchign from the Droid which i think you had to have 3G for nav. i'll stop at the state line for a hard copy map just in case :)

Upvote 0
I've had issues dropping everything (won't even default to 3G) twice, but nothing since my last post on Thurs.

If the you try the airplane and CDMA modes and that doesn't work then I'd try Verizons reboot (instead of hard reboot which will erase all settings) first, then hard reboot. but as indicated in my last post it took awhile after my hard reboot for my coverage to work again (~30 mins). otherwise you could try popping the SIM card in and out- not sure if that will work. I'm in the middle of Raleigh and doing pretty good the past few days. I haven't ventured far, should be interesting when I go to bumf*ck Virginia next week....it better default to 3G or I'm not going to be a happy camper. I guess nav works in this phone either way? I'm switchign from the Droid which i think you had to have 3G for nav. i'll stop at the state line for a hard copy map just in case :)

I used the GPS on the Rezound the other day. It's fantastic. Locks on fast. Directions were flawless. Love the voice too. I'm not sure standalone GPS services uses the data connection.

Upvote 0
I used the GPS on the Rezound the other day. It's fantastic. Locks on fast. Directions were flawless. Love the voice too. I'm not sure standalone GPS services uses the data connection.

Yessssssss, that's one of my favorite features of the Rezound! GPS is easily the best I've seen on a phone. Much more adroit than my OG Droid or Droid Charge. Using the GPS Test app, within 5-10sec it's already locked onto 8-10 satellites. Even works reasonably well indoors. Yowza!

Upvote 0
Wow...my thread has lasted a few days! After reading that others are definitely having issues as well, I am wondering a few things: Is this a problem that is specific to the Rezound, or is it something that affects most 4G LTE phones? Is it simply a Verizon network issue? I really love my Rezound, and the fact that I still love it after have a bout with a boot loop last week and a 1X issue the week before, that is saying a lot! However, I am lucky to have a 90 day return window with Costco that I still have about 60 days to play with. Obviously, the phone is skating on thin ice when it comes to issues. After dropping the money on an extended battery, case, and screen protector, it would be a shame to have to dump the RZ!:( Well...two days since the boot looping and subsequent factory reset, and no issues!

Upvote 0
Wow...my thread has lasted a few days! After reading that others are definitely having issues as well, I am wondering a few things: Is this a problem that is specific to the Rezound, or is it something that affects most 4G LTE phones? Is it simply a Verizon network issue? I really love my Rezound, and the fact that I still love it after have a bout with a boot loop last week and a 1X issue the week before, that is saying a lot! However, I am lucky to have a 90 day return window with Costco that I still have about 60 days to play with. Obviously, the phone is skating on thin ice when it comes to issues. After dropping the money on an extended battery, case, and screen protector, it would be a shame to have to dump the RZ!:( Well...two days since the boot looping and subsequent factory reset, and no issues!

Can't answer if it's a rezound problem or not. What I do know is my Rezound worked perfectly the first few weeks before the verizon outage. I didn't have issues going from 3G->4G and back. Now it seems to have issues going from 4G to 3G. But for me it's always in the same area. Other places I don't seem to have the problem. I guess I will have to call verizon and see what's going on with this area with 4G.

Upvote 0
Arghhh! Everything has been singing along for the past week since my factory reset, etc. Now this morning the thing is bouncing between 1X, 3G, no data randomly just sitting here at my desk! I really can't believe the problems I have had to deal with since having this phone. If this is a Verizon problem, shame on them. If this is an HTC problem, they are getting what they deserve when they see 50% of their RZ's getting returned. I am going to shut this thing down and switch back to my Inc. The Razr Maxx is going to be my next choice. It'll be nice to have a 4G phone that I don't have to "power manage" constantly. It's really a shame, because I am a Sense guy and really loved most things about this phone. I just can't do business with an unreliable phone. Lame.

Upvote 0
Wow... spent quite a while on the phone with a tier 2 tech at Verizon. After trouble shooting everything they have in their playbook, we ended up doing a factory reset. Didn't fix the network connectivity issue I was having. At that point, the tech said that either had to be my phone or a local network issue. After a couple of hours the phone is now pulling 3G with no problems. Guess it was the network...:eek:

Upvote 0
Where you are having the 1x issues pull the sim card for 10 min instead of the recomended 2 min and then reinstall. Make sure to wipe off the contact side of the card. The cards can go bad from the heat as the sd cards can also. I have replaced alot of sim cards over this last year and atleast half of them were bad.Just ask them and they will send you a new one. I don't think putting it under the battery is a good place for it.

Upvote 0
Where you are having the 1x issues pull the sim card for 10 min instead of the recomended 2 min and then reinstall. Make sure to wipe off the contact side of the card. The cards can go bad from the heat as the sd cards can also. I have replaced alot of sim cards over this last year and atleast half of them were bad.Just ask them and they will send you a new one. I don't think putting it under the battery is a good place for it.

Well, I didn't have to pull anything. :eek:

I'm telling you guys, it's all on verizon. It's their crappy authentication process. Someone must have fed the squirrels, because I haven't had the 1x problem since I posted about it on the 7th.

Upvote 0
Well, I didn't have to pull anything. :eek:

I'm telling you guys, it's all on verizon. It's their crappy authentication process. Someone must have fed the squirrels, because I haven't had the 1x problem since I posted about it on the 7th.

Im in and out of 4g all day long and 3g when I get home. Have'nt noticed a hickup since I bought mine Nov. 14th. We have three rezounds and all but 1 have been great. Did the same thing as most are posting about for a few days and replaced card and its been great since late Nov. You may be right about the authentication process issues in different areas. Question is the authentication process tends to be an issue if you are moving from one coverage to another. How many are having it switch while in one spot.
I think there are several answers to these data issues so who knows.

By golly we pay VZW enough those squirrels shouldn't be going hungry. lol

Upvote 0
Im in and out of 4g all day long and 3g when I get home. Have'nt noticed a hickup since I bought mine Nov. 14th. We have three rezounds and all but 1 have been great. Did the same thing as most are posting about for a few days and replaced card and its been great since late Nov. You may be right about the authentication process issues in different areas. Question is the authentication process tends to be an issue if you are moving from one coverage to another. How many are having it switch while in one spot.
I think there are several answers to these data issues so who knows.

By golly we pay VZW enough those squirrels shouldn't be going hungry. lol

Mine happened when moving about. From a 4G area to 3G. Oops, skip the 3G, lets just get turtle speed, 1x.

Damn squirrels are hungry this time of year.......must be chewing on something over at Verizon.

Upvote 0
Well....after all of the time dealing with this issue today, and the many other idiosyncrasies of this phone, I have decided to abandon the rezound. I am now using the old reliable Incredible (amoled) and waiting for the Razr Maxx in two weeks. That battery and the ability to run at full bore 4g for a full day is just what the doctor ordered. And...now that I'm looking at my Amoled again, I really do prefer it to the higher res slcd on the rz. Just sucks that I have to leave Sense. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Razr and Gnex are doing this as well. Happened to my Razr a few times in the past few days and not happened before. My guess is random, regional network shenanigans by VZW and their ongoing quest of 4G transition.

This would explain most 3G/4G devices having some form of issue and some not having it at all, while others have it randomly.

Upvote 0
Razr and Gnex are doing this as well. Happened to my Razr a few times in the past few days and not happened before. My guess is random, regional network shenanigans by VZW and their ongoing quest of 4G transition.

This would explain most 3G/4G devices having some form of issue and some not having it at all, while others have it randomly.

Yeah, I thought someone was going to say that. I've backed off of making judgments about phone radio capabilities, because the network flakiness has introduced so much unpredictability.

My Rez hung for the first time in a month tonight. Does it have a problem, or do I just blame it on VZW? :eek:

Upvote 0
I can honestly say i have not had any connection issues in the 3 weeks i have owned the rezound,the 1x issues i used to see all the time when i had the LG optimus V on Virgin mobile.but what i cannot understand is why there is no 4G in my town i only live about 15 miles from Verizon Wireless world headquarters,in Basking Ridge NJ.

Upvote 0
None of this makes any sense to me from a business perspective. I had no data coverage for a 20 mile drive across San Diego county yesterday afternoon. If it were a network problem, how is it that Verizon wasn't getting absolutely flooded with technical calls from nearly every 4G customer in SD? And if so, why would the tech keep me on the phone for 30 minutes trying to fix my phone?? If my power company or water utility is going to be shutting off service periodically in a day for maintenance, they will make it known to their customers. They wouldn't send technicians out to my house to monkey with things. Anyway, what a nightmare this whole switch to 4G has been. And for what?? A slightly noticeable speed increase when loading web pages?! The only really noticeable difference I saw with 4G was downloading apps, and that probably had as much to do with 4G as it did with the 1.5 ghz dual core on board the phone. And the most glaring issue I have with 4G is the battery drain! I had to buy a giant extended battery just to make the phone last 13 hours, and that was while doing every power saving trick I could find (Normal mode, NO 4G too). The way I see it, the Razr Maxx is the only phone out there that will address at least one of the major drawbacks to 4G...battery drain. That 3300 mAh battery will finally put to rest all of the ridiculous power saving measures that I see a lot of Rezound and GN users beating themselves over the head with. :eek:

Upvote 0
I drove to the area where I had the "stuck in 1x" issue, for the second time. The area where I end up has 4G. The area I come from does not. The problem I had before was not going into a 4G area, the phone switched fine. It came when I left this particular 4G area. The phone would go from 4G to 1x.

Now, both times the phone went from 4G-> 1x and a few seconds later, 3G. I am also seeing better 3G speeds. I can't say for sure what they did to change all this stuff.

But if it were the phone or the sim card, wouldn't the problem exist all the time?

Upvote 0
I'm having the issue and thought it may be a network problem but my wifes rezound has 4g. i rebooted it connected fine but i don't want to have to keep doing that. I'll try pilling the sim and if that doesn't work I'm going to the vz store that has tech support and demanding a replacement. Unless it has something to do with the fact that I've used 2gb of data this month and still have 15 days I'm my Billing cycle... Although i still have unlimited data plan.

Upvote 0
Ok, I am no nerd but here are my thoughts on this signal issue. It is not your phone. The rezound is a very very good phone, absolutely one of the best out now. I have been with verizon for over 20 yrs, I am having the same issues as the rest of you. I have gone through many growing pains with the cell industry. It is within their network. It will get worked out. Don't return your phone for a phone that really is not going to be as good as the rezound. The competitiveness in this high tech world we are evolving into is so great that these companies do not want to loose their competitive edge. The manufacturers of the devices that utilize this new 4g have to do what they do in order for the networks to troubleshoot their systems so they can bring us the service we want. It doesn't always seem as they care, but they do, or they would fail. The fall out of all of this is that they put out advertising and the such to entice us to use their product or service before it is really ready. It is going on in the tablet industry as well. (hence the transformer prime issues)Trust that this will all get worked out and things will be great and you will enjoy your great piece of equipment. Now you can try all this changing of things if you wish but chances are until the network gets its bugs worked out (and it won't be overnite) they are probably not necessary. It will get better and you will be glad that you are with a network that has been and will be the leader in this industry. I am not a happy camper either, as I just cancelled my internet service at my home to use my MHS and can hardly get a 4g signal. I can walk literally 25 feet from my house and get a great signal. Just remember all the issues the iphone had with ATT. It is not the phone. Patience has its virtues. And no I don't work for verizon. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones