Stuck on "EV" dataSupport

Last Updated:

1. lokio

lokio Well-Known Member

I'm in Tampa, Florida and I received the Motion yesterday. This is my first MetroPCS phone and I am on the $55/month unlimited 4G plan. I've had various android phones the past couple of years so I'm not new to smartphones. Since I've activated it though, I've either had the 1x or EV data icon in the notification bar. I haven't had the 4G icon show up yet. Has anyone else had this issue?

Advertisement
  2. mike28

mike28 Well-Known Member

*228 option 5 update your PRL
  3. lokio

lokio Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that, and nothing changed. My speed is ranging anywhere from 50-200ish kB/s. Is that considered MetroPCS's 4g?
  4. mike28

mike28 Well-Known Member

No very weird in what state are you in
  5. wretchedmage

wretchedmage New Member

Im in Tampa FL, I just activated my phone today also. It never displayed 4g so far. Only EV. I called customer support and got a ticket number.
  6. dharp1996

dharp1996 Well-Known Member

Think it has anything to do with the storms???? maybe some damage on a tower somewhere....idunno:p
  7. lokio

lokio Well-Known Member

I guess I'll have to call as well. I'm hoping it isn't the phone.
  8. mike28

mike28 Well-Known Member

When my wife got hers it showed ev I right away updated prl and 4g came right away I'm also in the Tampa area
  9. Joshb101

Joshb101 Well-Known Member

I had this exact same problem when I first got my motion. Problem was my sim card was never activated. Check your online profile to see if the sim card is listed along with your phone, if not that's your problem.
    Of course I now have the problem that my phone won't receive any data over 4G.
  10. lokio

lokio Well-Known Member

That must be my problem. I don't see it listed online. I submitted a ticket a couple of hours ago so maybe it'll get fixed soon.
  11. wretchedmage

wretchedmage New Member

Joshb101 is correct. I went to a Metro PCS corporate store. They just reentered the sim number and now I got 4g. YAY!:smokingsomb:
  12. lokio

lokio Well-Known Member

I went today. They added the sim to my account and I was good to go.
  13. euphan1555

euphan1555 Well-Known Member

i also had to go to a store to get 4g.my speeds are what i expected between 1.2-1.8.its a far cry from what i can get on vm when im away from home.i ran off 9 speedtests back to back a couple days ago and only got under 10k 2 times.i just wish wimax was better at dealing with interference so my speeds wouldnt suck so bad at home.i cant even stream youtube at 240p without it buffering constantly.
  14. dannis

dannis Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. My phone came from Wirefly unprogrammed and the SIM unactivated. I had to call MetroPCS to manually program my phone. I may have to call them again to get the SIM card activated but I also put in a ticket. Where should I see the SIM card listed when I log in to MetroPCS?
  15. Joshb101

Joshb101 Well-Known Member

Under manage & pay on the website when it gives you that drop down there's one called profile on the far right. That will bring you to your profile and underneath account subscribers it should list your device name and device number. So if your sim card is activated you should see your phone listed and the card listed either above or below it. The card's device name is ICCID.
    But yeah if its not listed and no 4g just give them a call and tell them they need to activate your sim card. You'll need to give them the numbers off the sim card, but otherwise should only take a few minutes and then you should be good to go.
  16. MyUsernameRox

MyUsernameRox Well-Known Member

I have not seen a 1x, Ev/3g icon at all since buying this phone.

There was a brief period of a No Service icon while in the desert between Lancaster and L.A. however.
  17. tzr916

tzr916 Well-Known Member

Finally got my Motion from Wirefly (took 8 days to get here):
    1. Went to account online and activated/swapped old phone. Could not make/receive calls.
    2. Dialed *228 option 2 to active and it said the phone was already active on another account.
    3. Called Metro. He had me call him back with another phone and he walked me through inputing some codes to activate the phone manually. Now can make/receive calls but Data is stuck on EV.
    4. Dialed *228+5 two times, verified I have latest PRL. Still EV.
    5. Called Metro again from another phone. He said "EV is 4G" and refused to walk me through inputing the Sim, said "it would be too risky ".

Guess I have to goto a store... or anyone know the secret codes to manually enter the SIM?

BTW, my GF's Metro phone sitting right here next to me is showing 4G.
  18. eljefe0000

eljefe0000 Well-Known Member

for the sim card u must call so it can be active on their system if not you wont get 4g the programming is to enter your phone number
  19. tzr916

tzr916 Well-Known Member

I have called twice. Both times they said they would "program the phone" and then I pull the battery and no change when I turn back on. They never asked me for my SIM number. Wouldn't I have to tell them what it is?
  20. eljefe0000

eljefe0000 Well-Known Member

yes you do need to tell them at least from my experience i did it thru their chat as the phone operators are real dumb. the number is on the box and on the card itself you need ti tell them
  21. tzr916

tzr916 Well-Known Member

Took less than 2 minutes using CHAT. I did not have to do anything but reboot the phone (no codes to enter on the phone). I gave him my SIM and he did it on his end in about 30 seconds.

I have 4G now.

Phone in support are so stupid!
  22. dannis

dannis Well-Known Member

Yep I had a similar experience where my phone came unprogrammed and the SIM card not activated. It's all straightened out now.
  23. shamuko

shamuko New Member

No 4G in my motion only EV, How to fix it? my plan: ($50 2.5GB 4G LTE Data Speed)
  24. Kyle7

Kyle7 New Member

Shot in the dark here but...

Do you have 4g in your coverage area?
  25. shamuko

shamuko New Member

NO! maybe sim card not active...