Stuck on G1 screenSupport

Last Updated:

1. ross1

ross1 Member This Topic's Starter

Hope someone can help me on this one, I do believe I have actually broke my G1 ! It basically resembles a pretty paper weight and not a very functional one at that !
    I have had a few issues updating to the latest Cyanogen ROM 4.2.3.1, So last night I decided to wipe my phone and start from scratch, I formatted the SD card with FAT32 and loaded a default ROM from Tmobile TMO-OTA-EU-DRC92-Rooted_update,
    From there I copied files signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip and update-cm-4.2.3.1-signed.zip and the latest Radio file that accompanies this ROM, I installed them in this sequence then rebooted phone,

I now have the latest Cyanogen ROM all is good I thought !

I soon discover that I can't use data ie GPRS and 3G, I know my settings are correct because I was using them an hour ago.

This is were everything goes horribly wrong !

I decide in my infinite wisdom that it must be the latest Radio file that I have just installed that must be the cause of this, So I go about deleting the radio file for 4.3.2.1 and replacing it with the earlier version I can't remember what it is called it is basically the one before this, If i remember correctly the 4.3.2.1 radio image is the same for the last ROM also, So its the one prior to that, I hold down home and power and install this earlier radio image, The screen acknowledges that this has been done and I reboot the handset awaiting in anticipation for my stroke of genius and my new found understanding of Android !

Do you know that sinking feeling you get when you realise that you have just done something really stupid ?
    :eek::eek:

OK I hold my hands up what can I say !

I now have a black screen with the G1 logo and that is it, It doesn't matter what combination of buttons I use and how many times I power cycle the handset it just sits on the G1 logo 3 hours later after trying pretty much every combination of recovery file and removing the battery and rebooting some more I had to admit defeat !

can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction please to try and revive my G1 ?

I have had to dig out my old HTC 620 windows mobile and put my SIM in that so I can get some service, Its not pretty I can tell ya !

Cheers Ross

Advertisement
  2. Ken Amisraelhai

Ken Amisraelhai Member

Ross - I had a similar situation, but I returned it to the shop and they fixed it. I do not know what they did to repair the phone or software.

3. ross1

ross1 Member This Topic's Starter

No warranty on mobile I'm afraid, Bought second hand.....

4. yessika661

yessika661 New Member

I just tried to add a theme to my rooted G1 and it stopped working too!!! I had tried EVERYTHING I had found and then i ran into this article. Unroot and Restore your Android G1 to Factory Settings | Tutorial Ninjas All the factory restoring and everything hadn't worked!! If your phone is rooted your only solution will be to un-root it but it beats the heck outta having to buy a new phone. Hope this works for you!!! I thought I had a new paper weight. If you need help I would be happy to help. Yessika661@gmail.com

5. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Thats not true... installing themes is an iffy thing since they are not compatible with all builds and if you dont know that before installing it will bork the build.... however you have a bunch of options for restoring... you should ALWAYS do a nandroid back-up before changing or modifying any rooted build which will give you the ability to completely restore the phone to the rooted build exactly the way you have it before the modification... other options would be to simply re-flash the version of the rooted build your using or a different version of a rooted build... personally ive tried at least 100 builds on my G1 and about as many themes and have come across this same issue more than once don't just jump ship and give up on root because of it...