Stuck on Galaxy S screen :(Support

Last Updated:

1. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My girl's Vibrant is stuck on the Galaxy S screen and will not go further.

We tried to root it and apply the lag fix via "OneClickLagFix" app (from the Market), and the phone was very fast for about a week, then slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY.

Tonight, it just froze and will not boot past the Galaxy S screen. The screen will then go black and the four buttons at the bottom stay lit.

We have gone into recovery and wiped the cache but no luck. Have not yet tried to wipe user data.

What are my options?

Transfer all data from internal storage to a separate drive, then wipe phone? If so, will I have to "flash" a stock/custom ROM to get the phone back up?

Any ideas? We're desperate :(

Advertisement
  2. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Could I load up the update.zip (one of the root methods) file and just boot into recovery and "reinstall packages" ? Or will that brick the phone?

3. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

i dont know very much about roots and all that, but i do know that if youre seeing the galaxy s splash screen, your phone isnt bricked.

4. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Hey there, although I don't know the answer, and others havent really posted a solution, you may try the xda forums, they may be able to help

go to www.xda-developers.com
    go to forums, vibrant...and post your question there also

5. BossDj

BossDj Well-Known Member

bearly, i'm in the same boat. i was on a custom rom, Eugene's Vibrant8 from xda, and things were working great, then last night, surfing the web, the screen went black, phone rebooted, and gets stuck at the spinning S logo with the bottom buttons lit.

personally, i can't boot mine into recovery, if i could i have a .zip rom there i can flash from sd, instead, going the long way around. finally got odin to recognize her on my xp system at work, flashing as i type....

(edited) reflashing the stock rom did it, got me past the spinning s screen

6. saamlee92

saamlee92 Well-Known Member

guys, i was in the same situation as you last week. I did the Eugene v8 upgrade and tried to do the lagfix and got stucked on Vibrant boot screen.

I solved this by doing ODIN firmware download. You just have to find the stock 2.1 Tmo rom and upload it to the phone. Follow this instruction: [ROM] OFFICIAL T-Mo Vibrant JFD ODIN/Nandroid Backup Images 7/29/10 (Tested/Working) - xda-developers

i had trouble with the download mode. The only way that worked for me is to connect the phone to the usb (connected to pc) and then when you see the big battery charging screen, press volume up + volume down+ power button. When the screen goes black, release ONLY the power button (you have to stay pressing the volume buttons) then you should be in download mode.

7. melll

melll Well-Known Member

Same thing has happened to my Vibrant, after applying the lag fix/root.

Im just not able to get into recovery mode as you...

8. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Go into download mode and reflash a stock firmware via ODIN.

9. BossDj

BossDj Well-Known Member

exactly to the letter of what happened to me. loaded Eugene's 8, lag fix, and then brick. the only way i got into dl mode was the method you listed here, plug in (to pc, not just power) and that button sequence got me in. actually found that over on the xda forums, posted by (i believe) a t-mo rep.

(edited) be sure you have the right drivers loaded too, and i learned the hard way (hours of trying until i found a tip over on xda), that the drivers don't allow windows 7 to load and start the device when connected in dl mode. some have had luck extracting and manually pointing the device to the 64 bit windows drivers on their 32 bit win7 system when the phone is in dl mode, but thats only recommended for advanced users. i waited until i got to my xp system at work, the drivers worked perfectly, and ODIN saw me and flashed me.

the stock rom is the way to go. i think i'll be staying at the stock rom for now, froyo is supposedly right around the corner

10. zadx

zadx New Member

I wish we head this thread much earlier. I also face the same problem where i can't even get into download mode. After spending the whole night trying to find ways getting into download mode yet failed. I went back to the shop since it is still under warranty. He problem is, it has been weeks and i still didnt get my phone back.
    Anyway thanks for the thread.

11. Franz9236

Franz9236 New Member

Hi im pretty new to this stuff. I installed ryansaz oclf and I accidentally installed something called voodoo without noticing what is going on? by the time I realized what was happening it was too late i tried to turn the power off immediately to cancel but I think I made it worst.

I tried following the step and link you gave me but I am still not getting it. I am sorry I am really new at this.
    Here is my question

1.)Do I have to find a 2.1 tmo rom first? if so yes where can I find one.

2.)can you please help me with the link you gave me.

thanks I really really need a lot of help.

12. Franz9236

Franz9236 New Member

can you please help me with my problem..

Hi im pretty new to this stuff. I installed ryansaz oclf and I accidentally installed something called voodoo without noticing what is going on? by the time I realized what was happening it was too late i tried to turn the power off immediately to cancel but I think I made it worst.

I tried following the step and link you gave me but I am still not getting it. I am sorry I am really new at this.
    Here is my question

1.)Do I have to find a 2.1 tmo rom first? if so yes where can I find one.

2.)can you please help me with the link you gave me.

thanks I really really need a lot of help.

13. strydr26

strydr26 New Member

I had this same problem - All I had to do was reboot in safe mode (hold volume buttons and power down on start up) and select delete user data. I had to reload my contacts (which i had backed up) and I lost all my apps but it got the phone working again. I had unrooted before I updated and removed the one click lag fix but forgot I had also removed the start up sounds and that seemed to cause the issue.

Let us know if that works for you also.

14. daveyfonzerelli

daveyfonzerelli New Member

Are there any Bell subscribers in Canada that would be willing to get my phone repaired/replaced? I'll pay for the trouble. I had it for about a week and a half, then google voice got in a force quit/restart loop and the phone shut off. Then everytime it tries to start it freezes on the galaxy S screen, and then goes black but the buttons stay lit. I've tried all the button combinations for download & recovery mode - apparently I have one of the phones for which this is disabled. I was pumped to switch from the iPhone to Android, and I loved this phone while it was working. I've contacted Samsung Canada, Samsung US, Bell, and my Provider (at&t). None of them are willing to do anything with the phone - so now I have a pretty light $500 paperweight. The phone is under warranty for another 10-11 months, so a Bell subscriber should be able to get it replaced. I'll totally paypal for the trouble if there's anyone out there that can help me. daveyfonzerelli at yahoo dot com. Thanks.

15. supermantri

supermantri Member

Ya im still not able to fix this problem, because the problem you have is the same problem i have still, so did you download any kind of kernal

16. Chief317

Chief317 Member

This worked! Thank you so much! I thought my phone was completely bricked! I did lose all my apps, Launcher, Contacts I didnot lose they were saved to my simcard. Phone is still rooted.

17. zx6r_98

zx6r_98 New Member

Umm just a quick/noob question... where can i get the stock rom ?? i have a bell samsung galaxy S
    got the same problem where the phone wont pass the 'S' logo and wont go in recovery mode
    i wanna try and flash back to the stock tom :( to see if that will work

18. camsdroid

camsdroid Member

same issue