• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck On PIN Screen After TalkBack On

LukeM23

Lurker
Jun 22, 2013
After restarting my handset, TalkBack of course turned itself on. I tried to turn it off again, but apparently hit something that instead forced me to double-tap everything. Thinking it was a temporary bug, I turned off my screen and turned it back on only to find that I cannot advance past the PIN entry screen. I try double-tapping my PIN in and it keeps telling me I entered it incorrectly.

Any ideas on a solution? Trying to avoid a hard reset if possible.

EDIT: I feel I should mention that my phone is not rooted.

I can't give you any specific advice, but this happened to me as well. I found that patient putting in the PIN eventually got me back in. Make sure you're tapping once to select the number so that it's highlighted, then tap it again. If you double tap before your next pin entry is selected, it inputs whatever was selected before. It also took me a while to do it so that the OK was selected rather than a number. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Luke,
Now that you have Talkback turned off, you can go to Menu>Manage Apps>All and find the Talkback App. Select it and choose to disable it. If your phone acts the same as mine, you will still get the stupid hand notification when you restart, but at least you can't accidently turn Talkback on.

The first time I accidentally turned it on, I thought my phone had a major meltdown and as about to take it to a VZN store for replacement...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I had trouble with the double tap entry of the pin after shutting off the phone to try to shut off talk back. When entering the pin in double tap mode you have to select the number first by touching it and see it highlight then tap it twice quickly for that number to register in the box above... if you do not see the number appear in the box above then it did not register. Then move to the next number in your pin select it be touching it and see it highlight then tap twice quickly... etc. When pin number is fully entered, double tap okay. It should unlock. In settings go to Accessibility-Services-talk back - turn off all using double tap for each selection. If you are unable to get back to TalkBack to turn it off, use the search bar in settings and double tap the microphone and say TalkBack it will bring you to the TalkBack app select it by touching it you will see the on button double tap it and it will change to off. good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones