Stuck preparing sd card

Last Updated:

1. OZFive

OZFive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my Droid is now Preparing SD Card (Checking for Errors) for some time now and is not stopping, any ideas on what is going on here?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

First, turn off your Droid, take out the battery and sdcard, reseat the sdcard and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

3. OZFive

OZFive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

No that did not seem to work. I know all the data ias there, I tshwoed up when the card is removed and mounted to m computer. Going to back it all up this mornking and reformat the card, now to go find some good instructionsfor that!

4. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing. Only way out for me was to re-format the card in the PC. I couldn't even un-mount the card in the phone. Good luck.

5. Tylerc66

Tylerc66 Member

Once I formated the SD card in fat32 format on my computer it worked fine.

6. Nicklush

Nicklush New Member

Simple Fix for this. Keep in mind that smart phones are computers and the SD cards are physical memmory and like hard drives, they require regular maintenance.

First take the SD cad out of the phone.

You will then need to insert it into a PC of some sort. I had to go out and buy an adapter to insert it in the SD slot on my laptop. You can usually find a cheap adapter in any store that sells digital camera supplies. I found one at Walgreens for $8 with a 2MB micro SD.

Third step (Optional). Copy all the data from the card into a folder on the PC in order to back up your data.

Fourth Step run a scandisck on the card. In windows Right click the drive then choose "Properties". Click the "Tools" Tab and you will find an Error correction section. Run the error correct and make sure you choose the "Automatically fix file system errors". This should take just a couple momments to run. DO NOT CHOOSE THE BAD SECTOR OPTIONS AS THIS WILL TAKE FOREVER TO RUN.

Once this is complete. Remove the card from your PC insert back into the phone and boot up. You should be all fixed.

Ballbucket and taylorbt like this.
  7. taylorbt

taylorbt New Member

Thanks, Nicklush. Used your procedure above. Worked like a charm to get my corrupted SD card back in operation. Bought an $8 Targus microSD reader/writer at Walmart to make the fix.

8. benf101

benf101 New Member

This happened to me twice and the same thing fixed it twice. The memory card is probably not bad.

1. Put your memory card into a reader that allows you to see its contents from your PC.
    2. For me, the bad file was on the root of the card, so in the root directory of the card, just sort the files by date, newest on top.
    3. The file causing the issue for me was called ".sd.bin". Just delete it. I have "show hidden files" (or folders?) turned on so you might not see it unless you have that checked in your OS folder settings.
    4. If that doesn't work, it's probably another file pissing off your android. Just delete the newest ones until you fix it.

I do not know what triggers this issue. It's probably not unmounting properly but I don't know how to reproduce it on purpose. It just seems to happen randomly.

Deleting this trouble file has had no adverse effects on anything. It's probably just a little file that the OS uses at runtime but doesn't really matter for anything else. And apparently, it just makes a new one when it feels like it, as proven by it happening to me TWICE so far. :)