• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

stuck with wimax

ryohei47

May 31, 2010
i know the greatest android phone ever is coming out on friday, but i have a slight concern about wimax. it seems to be a losing technology compared to lte which has support from 3 of the 4 big carriers, and im scared wimax will go the way of hd dvd before our contracts are over. anyone else have that thought?

Not really. WiMax still has quite a sizable head start on LTE. Also, Sprint has publicly stated that they haven't ruled out going with LTE in the future. I'd be willing to bet it'd be close to 2 years before LTE is even relevant. I personally get a new phone every year as I'm a Premier customer.

I'd actually be more worried about HSPA+ which T-Mobile just started to roll out. They already have HSPA towers in place. All they need to do is upgrade their technology. The main reason I'm sticking with Sprint is two-fold:
1. Lack of high end Android device.
2. Unreliable coverage in my area.

Upvote 0
thats the real concern. that my evo will get its wimax switched to lte anytime.

LOL. There's almost 99.9% chance of that NOT happening. Sprint has invested a lot of money in WiMax. If they were to shut anything off it would be 1x or EVDO. All carriers realize that the future of their business is in VOIP. I'd be willing to bet that they would phase out EVDO once their WiMax coverage is equal, regardless of whether or not they decide to pick up LTE.

Upvote 0
anyone on the plan that the evo requires will automatically be considered premiere in about 90 days :)

True :D It's the single best reason to switch to Sprint IMHO. I got tired of having to wait 2 years to get a new phone on Verizon. Phone technology is advancing way to fast to have to wait another year and see all my friends get better phones than me. :p

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep, its pretty alarming that T-mobile HSPA coverage is broader than WIMAX. With quite a bit faster download speeds, awww the good old days when Sprint was the fastest. =( at least Sprint is the most dependable - wait I've stated that already some thread, but its true!

I've come across loads of bad reviews for wimax, I understand, its still new technology but if it doesn't work well in-doors how can they ever improve that ?!?! They can't all of a sudden have it at a different freq! FAIL ::weeps::

Upvote 0
...it doesn't work well in-doors how can they ever improve that ?!?! They can't all of a sudden have it at a different freq! FAIL ::weeps::

With a magnet, magic, and a pocket full of dreams.
TrollFace.png

Upvote 0
I've come across loads of bad reviews for wimax, I understand, its still new technology but if it doesn't work well in-doors how can they ever improve that ?!?! They can't all of a sudden have it at a different freq! FAIL ::weeps::

If they build a whole bunch of towers, wouldn't penetration of signal improve due to there being more available?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones