stuck with wimax

Last Updated:

1. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

i know the greatest android phone ever is coming out on friday, but i have a slight concern about wimax. it seems to be a losing technology compared to lte which has support from 3 of the 4 big carriers, and im scared wimax will go the way of hd dvd before our contracts are over. anyone else have that thought?

Advertisement
  2. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

Not really. WiMax still has quite a sizable head start on LTE. Also, Sprint has publicly stated that they haven't ruled out going with LTE in the future. I'd be willing to bet it'd be close to 2 years before LTE is even relevant. I personally get a new phone every year as I'm a Premier customer.

I'd actually be more worried about HSPA+ which T-Mobile just started to roll out. They already have HSPA towers in place. All they need to do is upgrade their technology. The main reason I'm sticking with Sprint is two-fold:
    1. Lack of high end Android device.
    2. Unreliable coverage in my area.
  3. seretogis

seretogis Well-Known Member

If Sprint decides to go LTE in six months, our WiMax device will still be just fine.
  4. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

thats the real concern. that my evo will get its wimax switched to lte anytime.
  5. BigRick10

BigRick10 Well-Known Member

I see LTE being spread widely in about 2-3yrs
  6. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

LOL. There's almost 99.9% chance of that NOT happening. Sprint has invested a lot of money in WiMax. If they were to shut anything off it would be 1x or EVDO. All carriers realize that the future of their business is in VOIP. I'd be willing to bet that they would phase out EVDO once their WiMax coverage is equal, regardless of whether or not they decide to pick up LTE.
  7. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

no concern with this phone, LTE won't be a major contendor for ATLEAST another year. just enjoy WiMax while it's in use, if you keep waiting for the better technology then you'll never own a phone. LTE may stand for (long term whatever) but in another 5-7 years something will be blowing both WiMax and LTE out of the water, no point in playing the waiting game with technology, there never has been and never will be, it just moves too fast to find a "standard" or something that won't be outdated in the foreseeable future...

like i said, just enjoy WiMax, if LTE truly is that awesome then then you'll be long due for an upgrade from this phone by the time it's even usable as a phone service
  8. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

WiMax and LTE can co-exist on the same network. In fact, WiMax can be used to backhaul LTE in densely populated areas.
  9. eyecon82

eyecon82 Well-Known Member

anyone on the plan that the evo requires will automatically be considered premiere in about 90 days :)
  10. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

True :D It's the single best reason to switch to Sprint IMHO. I got tired of having to wait 2 years to get a new phone on Verizon. Phone technology is advancing way to fast to have to wait another year and see all my friends get better phones than me. :p
  11. timlot1

timlot1 Active Member

12. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

Yep, its pretty alarming that T-mobile HSPA coverage is broader than WIMAX. With quite a bit faster download speeds, awww the good old days when Sprint was the fastest. =( at least Sprint is the most dependable - wait I've stated that already some thread, but its true!

I've come across loads of bad reviews for wimax, I understand, its still new technology but if it doesn't work well in-doors how can they ever improve that ?!?! They can't all of a sudden have it at a different freq! FAIL ::weeps::
  13. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

With a magnet, magic, and a pocket full of dreams.
    [​IMG]
  14. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture for every single situation that pops up? Heh
  15. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

If they build a whole bunch of towers, wouldn't penetration of signal improve due to there being more available?
  16. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

exactly tbp thats the main advantage of wimax you can connect to multiple towers at one time 5 if im not mistaken. so they can have a repeater on a bus a main station near the building your in one thats bairely in range and another bus going the opposite direction and you can catch all there signals at 1 time for a magnified coverage