Stupid and probably paranoid question

Last Updated:

1. keerf

keerf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

So thanks to all the guides here, I have been happily rooted for over a week. I have to say, I love it.

My question is in regards to overclocking. I have been running at 800mhz since I rooted. Tonight though, I lowered back down to 600mhz just because I'm a little paranoid.

How safe am I running at 800mhz? I know people on here are running higher, but I'm really curious if running at 800mhz is safe enough for the long run. Or should I just keep it at 600mhz.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but figured I would ask.

Thanks all!

Advertisement
  2. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

So far, I've heard no reports of any damage due to overclocking/high temps/etc.

Unfortunately, all these OC'd droids are only a couple months old. No long-term data is available. However, people getting up to 1.2 and 1.3 ghz without issue should give you some confidence.

At 800 mhz, I highly doubt you could do any damage. The main contributing factor to any damage would likely be heat, and as long as that's under control, you should be fine.

The processor itself also has failsafe features in place, so if there are problems I believe it can shut itself down.

The one thing I'm curious about, and I haven't had any solid feedback on, is how exactly setcpu manipulates the clock speed; i.e. is it a change in voltage or just a setting in the kernel, or what? I've heard that no voltage change is necessary up to a certain clock speed. If this is true, there isn't much to worry about in the way of physical damage.

3. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I've heard the same...Unlike PC OCing, supposedly no overvolt is occurring...I have not seen proof though. My phone warms up at 1 Ghz a bit (not hot, just warm to the touch where the processor is), but I think it depends on a combination of Rom and Kernal. I'm on BB 2.1 (0.3) (forget which Kernal, will edit this when I check).

4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

800MHz shouldn't do anything. I mean sure, you have to note that every Droid is going to be different. After all, processors aren't manufactured to a standard, they're manufactured, tested to see how high their clock can go, and then set to the corresponding standard. So my Droid can only go up to 1.2GHz without shutting down; 1.25GHz makes it shut down during high load. Some people here like Joe can get to 1.3GHz no problems. A lot of us can't go any higher than 1GHz, it all depends on your processor.

But I don't see any reason why 800MHz would be dangerous. If only we knew how SetCPU increases the clock. I'd sleep a lot easier after doing all of this to my Droid if only I knew that there was no voltage increase involved. :)

5. Paralda

Paralda Active Member

I've been running at 1.2 GHz for at least 2 weeks now, and ran at 1 Ghz for two weeks before that, and no problems yet.

Trevorj mentioned that the voltage doesn't increase until after 800 Mhz.

6. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I take comfort in this:

My phone (yes it is a phone! :D ) would get hotter when it was not rooted or overclocked when I was on a long call.

I'm not 100% sure if that was the processor or the radio, but the readings from the sensor list app and the battery temp are lower now when I'm crushing the processor with an application.

In the end, it's up to your comfort level. I suggest doing some research into the actual chip itself for specs and technical reviews to gauge your comfort level.

7. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Setcpu has a "failsafe profile".... It's based on heat and you can adjust the profile for MAX, Min and battery temp.

Actually thats interesting ... I'll have to lookup the discharge state temps on the battery... opposed to the CPU.

8. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Mine are usually pretty close, + or - a few degrees either way