• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stupid Metro blocking tethering on esteem again

puropaisa

Mar 25, 2012
LA
hi guys, i tried tethering my esteem to my netbook running windows 7 with WifiTether today and im assuming its being blocked by metro because i can only go to facebook and youtube and everything else doesnt load. Are u guys able to tether as of today? and if you can, which app are u using.....yes my phone is rooted. Thnx in advance

The only soultion to bypassing tether block by metro is by following this tut and the one posted on the same post

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-indulge/496707-using-internet-explorer-wifi-tethering.html

Ok first thing first download user agent picker free from this link:

Code:
http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp

then once its installed open ur browser go to tools then toolbars then customize and u should see UA in blue on the right side select it and click move up till u see it on ur browser top right corner. now click UA icon on ur browser and erase what u see and copy & paste this into that box

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SCH-R910 Build/FROYO)

or u can also use any of the preloaded user agent code that is mobile like iphone, or window 7 phone.

2mmbdc0.jpg

click save changes and your good to go! to close that box after ur done making changes just press esc, to revert back to default browser tag just erase the user agent in the box and press save changes and it should be back to default. Anyways thanks to cafonez and TRS-80 For discussing these tags!

Their oringinal thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-indulge/454393-solution-wi-fi-tethering-issues.html

Upvote 0
thnx guys ur methods worked, the only thing is that the websites come up as mobile sites but as long as it works right lol

exactly right, lol you cant complain...the user agent method worked for me as well and i am very happy with the results seeing as i tether OFTEN while at work...besides most sites (or the ones i frequent) have the option at the bottom to switch to desktop view

Upvote 0
Well yea some of the sites are in mobile version but Alot of them are able to switch to desktop, the trick with Facebook once u log in through mobile version erase the link on the browser and put Facebook.com and it should be shown on desktop version. Oh when u want to disable the user agent picker u can either erase what's on the white box and save it or put it on a internet explorer user agent code.

Reactions: reddarin
Upvote 0
They (any carrier) restricts tethering because so many ppl try to use it as their main internet connection which eats up their bandwidth and causes it to be slow overall for everyone. Carrier's networks are meant for MOBILE surfing not PC surfing etc etc.

I lol@ppl getting mad cause they cant abuse something lol.

Upvote 0
They (any carrier) restricts tethering because so many ppl try to use it as their main internet connection which eats up their bandwidth and causes it to be slow overall for everyone. Carrier's networks are meant for MOBILE surfing not PC surfing etc etc.

They don't provide an alternative to no abuse...even if only in areas of the country where they're currently more prepared for it....;)

I'm willing to pay an extra $50 for wifi tether everywhere....$75 if truly no caps..+ the actual downloading itself(not the streaming) can be at 'reasonably' reduced speed.:eek:

So instead i now 'abuse' my internet provider for wifi and pay the minimum to Metro.:D

In Northeast US the main telcos(time warner, comcast, cablevision) have agreed to share towers so their customers can get free wifi anywhere.
I wonder why Metro couldn't join that alliance-- allowing in turn the carriers to offer branded cellular + maybe even tv over cellular.

Upvote 0

I have to disagree with part of your statement, Carrier networks are meant for pc surfing, they sell netbooks and usb dongles just designed for it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have to disagree with part of your statement, Carrier networks are meant for pc surfing, they sell netbooks and usb dongles just designed for it.

No, it's not what the carriers intended. If it was what they intended they wouldn't clearly state in the terms of service that it is not allowed.

Anyways there's a huge demand for it because it's a convenient technology so most people feel that they would allow it, however I'd they allowed it for everyone, that would increase the total bandwidth used so they would need more towers etc which means they would have to raise everyone's cellphone prices which they don't want to do because the majority of people don't tether from their phones (and unfair to those who are footing the bill and don't tether).

I tether but have never had problem getting blocked and it seems that the people who do get blocked are the ones who tether a lot. Anyways, I agree PG that people who are abusing it shouldn't complain about it.

Upvote 0
No, it's not what the carriers intended. If it was what they intended they wouldn't clearly state in the terms of service that it is not allowed.

Anyways there's a huge demand for it because it's a convenient technology so most people feel that they would allow it, however I'd they allowed it for everyone, that would increase the total bandwidth used so they would need more towers etc which means they would have to raise everyone's cellphone prices which they don't want to do because the majority of people don't tether from their phones (and unfair to those who are footing the bill and don't tether).

I tether but have never had problem getting blocked and it seems that the people who do get blocked are the ones who tether a lot. Anyways, I agree PG that people who are abusing it shouldn't complain about it.

you apparently didn't read what i wrote. it doesn't say anything in their statement about not using a computer over their network. It talks about not allowing tethering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones