Stupid Metro blocking tethering on esteem againGeneral

Last Updated:

1. puropaisa

puropaisa Active Member

hi guys, i tried tethering my esteem to my netbook running windows 7 with WifiTether today and im assuming its being blocked by metro because i can only go to facebook and youtube and everything else doesnt load. Are u guys able to tether as of today? and if you can, which app are u using.....yes my phone is rooted. Thnx in advance

Advertisement
  2. TattooedDroid

TattooedDroid Well-Known Member

I'm locked up too...but at leaSt netflix works via tether on the Wii :)
  3. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

lots newbies on the forums......just change your user agent on your computer's browsers. prob solved!
    hvrc likes this.
  4. intrdrgn

intrdrgn Well-Known Member

lol!
  5. puropaisa

puropaisa Active Member

ya srry i guess sum of us are noobs, so how do we change user agents on our computer browsers?
  6. HereticSins

HereticSins Well-Known Member

7. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon Guide

What browser are you using?
  8. puropaisa

puropaisa Active Member

im using internet explorer 9 and have also tried firefox 12 and neither of them work
  9. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

The only soultion to bypassing tether block by metro is by following this tut and the one posted on the same post

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-indulge/496707-using-internet-explorer-wifi-tethering.html

Immy74, reddarin, KLBrey and 3 others like this.
  10. puropaisa

puropaisa Active Member

thnx guys ur methods worked, the only thing is that the websites come up as mobile sites but as long as it works right lol
  11. det1726

det1726 Well-Known Member

exactly right, lol you cant complain...the user agent method worked for me as well and i am very happy with the results seeing as i tether OFTEN while at work...besides most sites (or the ones i frequent) have the option at the bottom to switch to desktop view
  12. yahhboy

yahhboy Well-Known Member

There are some user agent strings I saw on here that gave you desktop while allowing you to tether but that was months ago
  13. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Well yea some of the sites are in mobile version but Alot of them are able to switch to desktop, the trick with Facebook once u log in through mobile version erase the link on the browser and put Facebook.com and it should be shown on desktop version. Oh when u want to disable the user agent picker u can either erase what's on the white box and save it or put it on a internet explorer user agent code.
    reddarin likes this.
  14. rt-hemiboy

rt-hemiboy Well-Known Member

15. MsPrettyKitty

MsPrettyKitty New Member

I am not rooted but I read you can tether with metro service if you use clockwork mod I down loaded it to my phone and my laptop but it is saying "USB tether is running please open app on your computer" how do I turn it on? I am using my I am trying to tether using the LG Esteem 4G
  16. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

They (any carrier) restricts tethering because so many ppl try to use it as their main internet connection which eats up their bandwidth and causes it to be slow overall for everyone. Carrier's networks are meant for MOBILE surfing not PC surfing etc etc.

I lol@ppl getting mad cause they cant abuse something lol.
    reddarin, hvrc, discua8 and 1 other person like this.
  17. dozer5900

dozer5900 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm too late, but I was going to say try Open Garden's wifi tether. Just type in Open Garden, it has always work great for me.
  18. horsecharles

horsecharles Well-Known Member

They don't provide an alternative to no abuse...even if only in areas of the country where they're currently more prepared for it....;)

I'm willing to pay an extra $50 for wifi tether everywhere....$75 if truly no caps..+ the actual downloading itself(not the streaming) can be at 'reasonably' reduced speed.:eek:

So instead i now 'abuse' my internet provider for wifi and pay the minimum to Metro.:D

In Northeast US the main telcos(time warner, comcast, cablevision) have agreed to share towers so their customers can get free wifi anywhere.
    I wonder why Metro couldn't join that alliance-- allowing in turn the carriers to offer branded cellular + maybe even tv over cellular.
  19. bnb25

bnb25 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with part of your statement, Carrier networks are meant for pc surfing, they sell netbooks and usb dongles just designed for it.
  20. bnb25

bnb25 Well-Known Member

21. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Lol Np glad I could of been a help :D
    bnb25 likes this.
  22. justainchoe

justainchoe Well-Known Member

No, it's not what the carriers intended. If it was what they intended they wouldn't clearly state in the terms of service that it is not allowed.

Anyways there's a huge demand for it because it's a convenient technology so most people feel that they would allow it, however I'd they allowed it for everyone, that would increase the total bandwidth used so they would need more towers etc which means they would have to raise everyone's cellphone prices which they don't want to do because the majority of people don't tether from their phones (and unfair to those who are footing the bill and don't tether).

I tether but have never had problem getting blocked and it seems that the people who do get blocked are the ones who tether a lot. Anyways, I agree PG that people who are abusing it shouldn't complain about it.
  23. bnb25

bnb25 Well-Known Member

you apparently didn't read what i wrote. it doesn't say anything in their statement about not using a computer over their network. It talks about not allowing tethering.
  24. playsat18

playsat18 Well-Known Member

25. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Loosely translated, our friend here is asking for a better explanation, please.