Stupid question about cutom roms

Last Updated:

1. mehras1991

mehras1991 Active Member This Topic's Starter

sorry if I'm asking this stupid quetions, I have a rooted milestone, & I confused about some informations.
    can anyone explain me what exactly custom rom is?
    I used G.O.T openrecovery, as one another guy told me on this forum.
    G.O.T.’s OpenRecovery G.O.T.'s Blog

I don't know if custom rom is different from what I used to root.
    & if custom rom is different from what I think(or I know) plz tell me which & how to install.

any help or answer will be greatly appreciate

Advertisement
  2. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

First you need to tell us where your Milestone comes from, then we can go on to the next step - choosing the right ROM.

3. mehras1991

how can I know from the settings?
    I quess it comes from dubai, cause I need arabic alphabet supported, & it supports thiese arabic fonts

4. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a good idea to run a custom ROM on your device if you need the arabic alphabet ... maybe on the soft keyboard but not on the hardware keyboard.

You could try the G.O.T. patched ROM if you like (your phone runs on the same bands as the EU version) -> G.O.T. SHOLS_U2_36.0 released for UK and Central Europe G.O.T.'s Blog

If you want to go deeper, there are other custom roms but again, I don't know how it is with support for your alphabet.

You can always flash the default ROM for Arabia if you don't like the custom ones -> https://rsddownload.motorola.com/do...HLS00RTARAB_P006_A011_HWp2a_Service1FF.sbf.gz

5. mehras1991

thanks (arabic alphabet is not necessary for me, but sometime I use), can you tell me what exactly custom rom is? is it like what we install with rsd lite?
    or with this G.O.T.’s OpenRecovery G.O.T.'s Blog I already have the custom rom? now I use the apps for overclocking & changing fonts (which needs root access) do it means I am using custom rom?

6. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Well with the Motorola Milestone there really isn't such a thing as a full custom ROM but there are various modified ROMs which have the same kernel but different system apps and themes. What you get with the G.O.T. version is the default 2.1 ROM that has the Alarm and Music FIX injected and is patched with the vulnerable recovery - ready to root.

A full custom ROM would be a ROM with a custom kernel, custom system apps and a custom theme (like the Bugless beast or Cyanogen which aren't available for the Milestone because of the locked bootloader).

I hope this isn't too complicated.

G.O.T. is sort of a tweaked/patched default ROM so it's sort of a custom ROM.

You have a rooted patched overclocked device. :) The next step would be installing a custom theme and removing some system apps you don't need or replacing them with tweaked apps.

mehras1991 likes this.
  7. mehras1991

I really appreciate the information you have, told me.
    can you tell me (or give me a link) to find some theme to install? & I tried to install some theme (like how we do on unrooted one) like ADWLauncher, but it told me "not installed"
    should I do something special to install a theme?

About custom rom: if I find another rom for myself, how can I keep my current apps & data s (with my current root access) & install the other custom rom? cause I have too much thing on my curent rom

8. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

You can't. When you install a new rom, it's like a fresh system install. Apps are removed, you will have to redownload them. If you use a Launcher like LauncherPro or ADW, back up your settings and layout so you can copy / recreate it.

9. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

You can use Titanium backup from the market to backup your apps and data.