• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stupid question about GDE on android

jtorral

Mar 2, 2010
I installed GDE and was able to download a few themes during the first time setup. However, I cannot figure out how to download additional themes beyond the 4 that I already have downloaded. I just don't know where to click on the phone to get more of them.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks!

JT

Yeah, just search the market for gde themes and install them.

To install:

menu -> control panel -> personalize appearance -> change graphical theme

This will allow you to select a theme as a whole.

Now if you find a dock bar you like but don't like the wallpaper you can change that by:

Long press on the home screen ->wallpapers ->theme wallpapers (these will be any of the wallpapers from the themes you've downloaded for gde) or wallpaper gallery (these are the original stock wallpapers) or pictures (saved pictures to your phone/sd card)

Now, on a side note if you don't like any of the wallpapers you have I did a bit of a workaround.

I also have Open Home (paid app) and downloaded a ton of themes from there. I have found that if I'm on Open Home and then switch to GDE it transfers over whatever wallpaper I had open last but it kept the GDE dock bar I had installed from whatever gde theme I had selected. Did that make sense? So basically you are not just limited to the gde wallpapers. I don't remember if the same thing happened though if I did a switch from PandaHome (free) to GDE.

edit: There is an OpenHome lite that is free and this may work too. Don't know.

I also bought the app Better Cut and this lets me use different icons on GDE. However it doesn't let you change folder icons. For folders I use abcOrganizer lite or Launcher Dock.

Upvote 0
just had a quick question, its a little off topic but haveyou had any issues with the themes? i see reviews of people complaining it wasnt working.

For me GDE is laggy for sure. When you switch from a different app/widget/program back to the home screen it takes me about 10 - 20 secs of black screen. It's also a major battery hog for me. I don't experience any lag opening up an app though.

With that being said I haven't had any issues with FC really or accessing any apps. Plus, now I am so used to the spinning cube I have a hard time dealing with a regular slide screen to switch between home screens. So far it's preferred over Panda and Open for me personally. It's not nearly as easy to customize as Panda and not as many market options as Open. But I have found workarounds for all of it and am quite happy. I also love the "dock" bar at the bottom. You can add your own folders to organizer your list of apps. It almost replaces folders on the home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones