Stupid Question about Roaming

Last Updated:

1. wmbjr

wmbjr New Member This Topic's Starter

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I noticed most of the ROM's available for the Eris are actually Sprint ROM's from the Hero or other phones. I assume since everyone is running these and not screaming about roaming charges, that they somehow know it is a Verizon phone and it uses the Verizon network? Or am I using the Sprint network when I use one of the Sprint ROM's. Just curious how it all works and making sure I am not going to be hit with roaming or using the Sprint network when I want Verizon. Thanks in advance for any clarification!

WB

Advertisement
  2. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Well, you don't have a plan with verizon, so they wouldn't even let you use their network.

3. chaos0422

chaos0422 Well-Known Member

Sprint shares towers with Verizon so you are just useing a radio that was made by sprint

4. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

I think it all falls back to the phone's IMEI or ESN.

5. benso87

benso87 Member

As far as I know, Verizon phones can't function on Sprint's network due to the fact that the companies use entirely different frequency bands, so I don't see any way this could be an issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

Verizon : CDMA 850
    Sprint: CDMA PCS (1900)
    ATT: GSM 850
    T-Mobile: GSM 1900

That's the majority of their networks, however VZ and Sprint roam each other, as well as with other networks that use CDMA and ATT and T-Mobile will roam each other if they have to.