• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

stupid question regarding cables/chargers

wordgirl

Jul 16, 2010
I like to have a charger just about everywhere I go (home, office, BF's house, laptop case, etc.) And I'd like to have some extra data cords as well.

Will any micro USB connector work with this phone? If not, what do I look for? (and if this is an allowed question, has anyone found a good source for after-market Captivate accessories?)

The only issue with Micro USB connectors you need to look out for is the plastic housing around them. The way Captivate is shaped, the angled back edge can prevent a connector seating all the way if the plastic housing is thick. I hate when I think I should be done charging the phone, just to see that the connector had come loose a part of the way through it. If you notice, the Micro USB connector on the cable that comes with the phone has a skinny housing. Anything similar will definitely work. You can also trim the fat housing back with a knife to make any connector work without any ill effects. As for chargers, anything that puts out 700 mA or above at 5V (like the charger in the box) would work fine. I wish they had included a 1000 mA charger instead to reduce the time you have to stay charging up.

Upvote 0
The only issue with Micro USB connectors you need to look out for is the plastic housing around them. The way Captivate is shaped, the angled back edge can prevent a connector seating all the way if the plastic housing is thick. I hate when I think I should be done charging the phone, just to see that the connector had come loose a part of the way through it. If you notice, the Micro USB connector on the cable that comes with the phone has a skinny housing. Anything similar will definitely work. You can also trim the fat housing back with a knife to make any connector work without any ill effects. As for chargers, anything that puts out 700 mA or above at 5V (like the charger in the box) would work fine. I wish they had included a 1000 mA charger instead to reduce the time you have to stay charging up.
I am agree that the phone should of been shipped with a 1A (1000mA) charger. Fortunately for me I have a ton of iPhone chargers that output 1A. So I just use the iPhone outlet plug with the microUSB cable and bam 1A charging power.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones