subforum icons

Last Updated:

1. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Is it just me, or have the icons on subforums gone? I used these to tell if there were any new posts in a particular subforum, but not any more!!

Advertisement
  2. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

They're gone - in an effort to reduce home page size.. on account of the millions of phones coming out. I think this will be more painful for staff than regular members who frequent only a couple forums. All are encouraged to use 'favourite forums', which sorta will do the same thing.

But, if enough people complain, we will rethink..

3. lekky

possibly more a problem for us, really annoying though, for instance I only tend to check some of the smaller forums when there is a new post.

As a workaround (for anyone that cares), they show up in the main listing of the subforums, e.g. Android Phones - Android Forums

4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i think those icons spice up the index a bit, especially if they were custom....little drab now. this also removes some functionality as you can double click an icon to mark that particular forum as read.

5. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

To expand on what Phases explained, we custom built the "Favorite Forums" section specifically so you could track new posts in the forums you were mainly interested. I'd ask that you all check out this feature, give it a test run if you haven't already, and see if it can "replace" you former method of double clicking.

I understand the graphical "it looks nice" side of it - but it also clutters up the site and takes away critical space when our list of forums is so long. It's a tradeoff... and I'm happy to go with whatever ends up best for our members.

So how about this: try out Favorite Forums and report back with your opinions. We'll continue to modify things and test things out to improve the overall experience. Your continued suggestions are appreciated!

6. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I have been using the favourites box for ages and it works really well, and I'd loved it when the icons went as I could see all the phone forums on my screen at once

7. lekky

Ditto with vido, I've been using favourites since i can remember. But when you like to check on most sub forums, adding every one to your favourites defeats the purpose! :p