• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Subforum Removal: Updates & Cupcakes

Updates and Cupcakes - Android Forums

Does this forum have any use nowadays? I can understand back when the forum was smaller, less people and less devices. But now most phones have their own root section to do with root updates, and official updates are typically posted in the phones main forum.

So I'm not really sure who this subforum is catering for. It also fragments threads that really should be made in the phone specific forum instead.

What are poeples thoughts on this?

i thought that was about google updating android, whereas the respective phone sections are about manufacturers updating their devices (very different things)

of course that description* kinda goes against that

* "Talk about Firmware releases and modifications"

I agree, I think the description should be update to reflect talk about Android versions as opposed to individual phone updates.

Upvote 0
you said it yourself, thats not what that forum is for. The description doesn't say that, and it most certainly is not used that way. Go and have a look at what threads are there right now. Almost all of them are more appropriate in their respective phone forums.

I'm not even sure a separate forum just for talking about android official updates is even wanted. Its not used for that so theres an argument to saying if it was needed, that forum would look different, but it doesn't.

Upvote 0
The Android Lounge could cover any Google specific updates to the OS just fine. The Updates&Cupcakes section was great when the world was waiting for 1.5 on the G1; now it's just a destitute place that is no longer needed and it would help progress and clarity by sending people to their specific phone forum to discuss updates.

/that was a long winded sentence.

Upvote 0
"Yay" is not quite enough, how about

OhYeah_logo1.png

Upvote 0
Call me nostalgic, but I remember when we actually used that forum to talk about cupcakes and it was teh funz. Thought it might work better if we called it Android OS and description was "Cupcake, Donut, etc..." all way through current version. But I let Phases have his way. Looks like he was right for once in his life lol ;)

Upvote 0
Call me nostalgic, but I remember when we actually used that forum to talk about cupcakes and it was teh funz. Thought it might work better if we called it Android OS and description was "Cupcake, Donut, etc..." all way through current version. But I let Phases have his way. Looks like he was right for once in his life lol ;)
Does that mean we are planning on keeping it with a name change to just Android OS (or something of the like) or are we dumping it? (If were dumping it, we should probably have a few of start moving threads out of there - general Android OS questions into the Android Lounge and device specific into their respective forums)

Edit: Just saw Phases post above (sorry, I tend to read backwards haha). So should we start moving everything out of there since there are some somewhat valuable posts in there concerning release info and things of that nature?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones