Subforum Removal: Updates & Cupcakes

Last Updated:

1. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Updates and Cupcakes - Android Forums

Does this forum have any use nowadays? I can understand back when the forum was smaller, less people and less devices. But now most phones have their own root section to do with root updates, and official updates are typically posted in the phones main forum.

So I'm not really sure who this subforum is catering for. It also fragments threads that really should be made in the phone specific forum instead.

What are poeples thoughts on this?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Well, the sub-title of that forum, "Talk about Firmware releases and modifications," certainly is not being adhered to very strictly there.

I see Desire queries, Hero and rooting.. even Swype.

I'm wondering if it's a moderating issue or one of a semi-useless, sort of catchall forum area.

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I would agree, it's served it purpose and time for it to be retired.

4. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

i thought that was about google updating android, whereas the respective phone sections are about manufacturers updating their devices (very different things)

of course that description* kinda goes against that

* "Talk about Firmware releases and modifications"

bluenova likes this.
  5. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

I agree, I think the description should be update to reflect talk about Android versions as opposed to individual phone updates.

6. lekky

What android versions though? Those with sense, blur, etc will always be discussed in the individual phone forums. Vanilla updates? Again, those are almost always talked about in the phone forums.

You can update the description, but i don't think it makes that forum valid/useful any more.

7. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

android versions that google comes up with - cupcake, donut,

8. lekky

you said it yourself, thats not what that forum is for. The description doesn't say that, and it most certainly is not used that way. Go and have a look at what threads are there right now. Almost all of them are more appropriate in their respective phone forums.

I'm not even sure a separate forum just for talking about android official updates is even wanted. Its not used for that so theres an argument to saying if it was needed, that forum would look different, but it doesn't.

9. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

The Android Lounge could cover any Google specific updates to the OS just fine. The Updates&Cupcakes section was great when the world was waiting for 1.5 on the G1; now it's just a destitute place that is no longer needed and it would help progress and clarity by sending people to their specific phone forum to discuss updates.

/that was a long winded sentence.

10. vintagewalrus

vintagewalrus Active Member

pull it.

11. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I think I'm going to have to agree with Lekky and seconded (or third/fourth/etc.) that it really doesn't have a place in this forum anymore. I'd say have someone move all the threads in that forum into their appropriate phone forum (or into the Android lounge if its Google OS related).

12. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Hidden, pending deletion. Last 90 days of threads have been moved to Android Lounge.

Frisco likes this.
  13. Frisco

"Yay" is not quite enough, how about

[​IMG]

14. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Call me nostalgic, but I remember when we actually used that forum to talk about cupcakes and it was teh funz. Thought it might work better if we called it Android OS and description was "Cupcake, Donut, etc..." all way through current version. But I let Phases have his way. Looks like he was right for once in his life lol ;)

15. woop

Does that mean we are planning on keeping it with a name change to just Android OS (or something of the like) or are we dumping it? (If were dumping it, we should probably have a few of start moving threads out of there - general Android OS questions into the Android Lounge and device specific into their respective forums)

Edit: Just saw Phases post above (sorry, I tend to read backwards haha). So should we start moving everything out of there since there are some somewhat valuable posts in there concerning release info and things of that nature?

16. Frisco

I was getting ready to do that, moved one.. then thought better of it.

Awaiting word from On High. ;)

17. woop

I shall lend a helping hand as I'd hate to see all those threads go to waste :)

18. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

This forum has now been completely deleted. Hopefully this will resolve any favorites section and thread moving issues.

Frisco likes this.
  19. lekky

Only took 7 months! <3