Submerged Droid in Water

Last Updated:

1. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As if you needed another reason to love the Droid....

I was brushing my teeth this morning while watching a video on Youtube on my Droid. After I was done I picked up my phone but it slipped and was completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) submerged in the still draining water (with toothpaste spit too, eww).

I immediately yelled "NOOOOO" and pulled it out as quick as I could. To my surprise, it was still functioning perfectly even though it had just been 100% underwater. I could still use the touchscreen to perform tasks (I didn't do much, just checked to see if I could switch between home screens). I pulled off the battery cover and the LDI (liquid damage indicator) had sure enough turned red, voiding my warranty.

To be safe, I powered off the device, pulled out the battery and SD card, slid out the keyboard, and put it on the dashboard of my car to dry in the sunlight for several hours. I just reinserted the battery and SD card and powered it on and it still functions PERFECTLY. I tested all the keys on the hardware keyboard, same deal.

I was amazed, not so much by the fact that it worked after being dried out, but the fact that it still seemed to be working perfectly immediately after being fully submerged. That's a seriously watertight construction.

Just wanted to share this, I certainly wouldn't recommend purposely replicating this :p

So my warranty is voided, but I still have a perfectly functioning phone. Ok by me!

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

what video were you watching while brushing your teeth?

3. fox

fox Well-Known Member

lulz. but if you can deal without your phone for a day or two... put it in some dry rice with the power off. it should absorb any moisture.

4. publicanimal

No need! It seemed like barely any water penetrated inside the phone and it was a hot day so I was confident it was completely dry before I powered it on. It's working great.

5. publicanimal

It was actually a video of Glen Beck outtakes of him freaking out in his usual stupid manner. I don't know why I decided it was a good idea to watch that next to a sink full of water... a mistake I won't make again.

6. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

A good case for buying the desktop dock ... I can see the stories now, Beck ruined my phone. ;)

7. publicanimal

I would've been really screwed if it was broken too, I'd already had 2 claims through Asurion in the last year after breaking one phone, and losing another, so my phone insurance policy was cancelled.

Though my saving grace might have been that Droids are only $19.99 on Amazon.com right now.

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Yea if you open a new line.

9. publicanimal

Ah, so I would have to open a new line? Well that's not happening. Good thing my phone didn't brick!

10. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Either a new line or possibly if you have a NE2 upgrade.

11. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Your lucky, I dropped mine in a sink of water one time and it fried my screen, the phone would power on, but I guess the backlight on the screen wouldn't come on. So there is a certain amount of times you can claim on insurance?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. publicanimal

Yeah, you get 2 claims in a 12 month period. After the second claim they send you a letter that essentially says "You've reached the maximum number of claims, we are cancelling your policy, you will no longer be charged on your phone bill"

13. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Does it reinstate after the 12 month period is over?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. ultra50

ultra50 Member

I dropped mine in water but a few days later things started to go wrong like not being able to hear the other person during a call. Make sure to dry your droid for 2-3 days not hours. You may have already given it a death sentence by turning it back on after only drying it for few hours.

15. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

Droid is not very water tight at all, actually you can see the main circuit board when u pull the battery cover off

16. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

hmm i had like 4 or 5 claims in the past year.. no letter.. my old xv6800 was the biggest pile of shit ever though.. so maybe they made exceptions for that phone..

17. publicanimal

Yeah, I dunno. My policy info clearly said 2 claims per year, and that was borne out after I had 2 claims within a year.

18. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

I always leave my drain open when brushing my teeth... and turn the water off...

Droid Win.

19. SourPatchKid

SourPatchKid Well-Known Member

..I read while brushing my teeth. I feel your pain.