subsidized or not?

Did you buy your N1 at the subsidized price or not?

1. Subsizided price- $180

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Not subsidized price - $530

20 vote(s)
    87.0%

Last Updated:

1. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So a big part of Nexus One is the option of buying the phone at full price and freeing yourself from a contract. So how many N1 users are doing this? Or not?

Advertisement
  2. TaeKwonDonkey

TaeKwonDonkey Active Member

Unsubsidized, its cheaper in the long run and I'm not tied down to Tmo

3. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

i've not purchased yet (am hoping for a uk price announcement), but whatever my options I will get it unlocked as the best deals here at the moment are SIM only.

4. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

I already had Tmobile and am very happy with their service so i just purchased it unsubsidized and swapped my SIM from MT3G to N1 (and added the correct data plan too - obivously)

5. pittsleyb

pittsleyb Well-Known Member

im waiting until it comes out on verizon...sticking with my eris for now!!!

6. TaeKwonDonkey

TaeKwonDonkey Active Member

what do you mean the correct data plan?

7. LADude

LADude Member

I'll probably go subsidized. I'm already with tMO, I'm out of contract, and I generally keep phones for a long time. I need to call Customer Retention in a few days to see what they'll give me...I've been with them since they came to LA. I've had fantastic voice service, and friends using their data service have been very happy with it. Verizon is WAY more expensive.

(As an aside on Verizon, does anyone find it stupid and strange that they're so wedded to landlines on their FIOS bundled offerings? Why tie yourself to a dying market, especially when your company has a wireless division?)

I think the group on this forum is more likely to buy the unlocked phone, then sell it on e-bay when something better comes along in 6 months or so. I myself might go that route. Smartphones are evolving so rapidly that 2 years sounds like an eternity.

In any event, I'll wait a few weeks, see what's playing out with the Nexus comments and then decide. The other thing I may wait for is the Apple announcement on the 28th, in case there's anything game-changing there. I am a mac user and the main thing keeping me from an iPhone is AT&T totally sucking, particularly in LA. I like the integration you can do with the mac and the iPhone, but I think Android has way cooler phones, and I like Google's offerings. They are also more attuned to cloud computing, but that may change with the Apple iSlate/tablet thingie.

We'll see. I'm most likely to get the subsidized version, but I'm still up in the air.

8. Karganeth

Karganeth Active Member

I'm in the UK and the only choice i had was to use the unsubsidized.

9. darrinaltman

darrinaltman Well-Known Member

I have never had a phone for two years so this is a dream come true. If I am done with N1 and / or T-Mobile I just dont pay my next month to month pre paid plan. No hassles and bs of those car salesmen - I mean phone salespeople.