• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Subsidized VZW or Samsung Dev model

So, what do you gain with the Samsung version of VZW S3?
1) it's unencrypted?
2) no bloat? or bloat you can uninstall?
3) Faster updates?
4) easy to root and remove annoying Wifi messages (yes I believe).
5) Can you hack to make it brighter or is that a hardware limitation?
6) Ability to use other radio kernals (don't know what I'm really talking about) to make reception better?
7) Enable BT to work even with headphone jack plugged in?
Are these things that an unlocked version "could" do if someone wrote the code for it?

I returned my S3 for several reasons, but when the developer version comes from Samsung, will I be able to fix my issues? I might reconsider it or wait for the Droid Fighter.

1. Yes
2. will likely run the same OS as as the normal version so it will still have bloat...you can remove the bloat on the normal VZW version very easy if you root
3. faster only because you will be able to run AOSP straight from Google
4. the normal VZW version is as easy to root as about 3 clicks of a PC mouse...the annoying wifi popups are just as easy to get rid of
5. make the screen brighter? not sure why you would want it any brighter than it already as...
6. No
7. if this is a feature in AOSP ICS or JB then yes IF you flash those OS versions...

frankly most of the things you want are available now for the normal VZW version

Upvote 0
1. Yes
2. will likely run the same OS as as the normal version so it will still have bloat...you can remove the bloat on the normal VZW version very easy if you root
3. faster only because you will be able to run AOSP straight from Google
4. the normal VZW version is as easy to root as about 3 clicks of a PC mouse...the annoying wifi popups are just as easy to get rid of
5. make the screen brighter? not sure why you would want it any brighter than it already as...
6. No
7. if this is a feature in AOSP ICS or JB then yes IF you flash those OS versions...

frankly most of the things you want are available now for the normal VZW version

Also, there's no real guarantee the dev version will get love from devs. I'm kind of weary of a situation where the devs either:

a) give up on the VZW variants entirely because of this BS locked bootloader nonsense
b) support the locked bootloader version via kexec hacks/etc rather than the dev version simply due to more people with the non-dev version

It sure would be shame to shell out $600 for an unlocked VZW phone, only to not be able to run CM10 or AOKP, etc on it. :eek:

Upvote 0
Also, there's no real guarantee the dev version will get love from devs. I'm kind of weary of a situation where the devs either:

a) give up on the VZW variants entirely because of this BS locked bootloader nonsense
b) support the locked bootloader version via kexec hacks/etc rather than the dev version simply due to more people with the non-dev version

It sure would be shame to shell out $600 for an unlocked VZW phone, only to not be able to run CM10 or AOKP, etc on it. :eek:

probably irrelevant...once the bootloader is completely unlocked (as the dev model is) at least with AOSP based ROMS the vast majority of things will be completely interchangeable between the various versions of the S3

Upvote 0
I am completely torn on whether to keep the Verizon S3 or sell it and put the profit towards the Samsung variant.

My primary concern is whether the limited root access on the encrypted Verizon variant will prevent updates from coming as quickly to the developer version. As in, if the dev version gets JellyBean months before the Verizon variant, and we have to wait for an official OTA because Samsung/Verizon take way too long to issue updates anyways.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I am completely torn on whether to keep the Verizon S3 or sell it and put the profit towards the Samsung variant.

My primary concern is whether the limited root access on the encrypted Verizon variant will prevent updates from coming as quickly to the developer version. As in, if the dev version gets JellyBean months before the Verizon variant, and we have to wait for an official OTA because Samsung/Verizon take way too long to issue updates anyways.

Thoughts?

No version of the GS3 is going to get a Jellybean update from Samsung any time soon. Samsung will have to do a LOT of work to Touchwiz to incorporate it into Jellybean. I would not expect Samsung to have it ready until the end of this year at the earliest.

THEN, the dev device (and probably the international version) will get the Jellybean update from Samsung.

THEN, the rest of the carriers (minus Verizon) will get the Jellybean update (probably months after Samsung finishes it).

THEN, the VZW GS3 will get the Jellybean update some time next year after everyone else has it.

Of course, I'm referring to official OTA updates. There will likely be leaks, and custom ROMs that incorporate Jellybean (like CM10) but only time will tell if we get them working good on the VZW GS3. The development version will make it easier, but we really don't know yet how much development time will be put into it, or if everything will be interchangeable between the dev version and subsidized version.

So if you're looking to stay on the official upgrade path OTA, then I don't think either the subsidized version or the dev version will get Jellybean until the end of the year AT THE EARLIEST. The official version from Verizon probably not until next year. But if you're looking to stray from the official upgrade path, you can probably get custom roms for the dev version that incorporate JB a short time after the dev version is released. The subsidized version, we still don't know because the work is still being done.

Personally, I'm just going to stick with the subsidized version and enjoy it. I'm using it with Nova Launcher and there's not much I miss from AOKP or Jellybean. Google Now and the updated Voice Input are the only major things that i miss. The GS3 interface is already buttery fast, and Samsung has already added a lot of things to Touchwiz that are in custom roms (power menu, lock screen icons, etc).

Upvote 0
No version of the GS3 is going to get a Jellybean update from Samsung any time soon. Samsung will have to do a LOT of work to Touchwiz to incorporate it into Jellybean. I would not expect Samsung to have it ready until the end of this year at the earliest.
the advantage with the Dev version is you dont have to wait for Samsung...for instance...here is a T-Mo Galaxy S3...you can read the version of Android for yourself...

d5sn.png

THEN, the dev device (and probably the international version) will get the Jellybean update from Samsung.

THEN, the rest of the carriers (minus Verizon) will get the Jellybean update (probably months after Samsung finishes it).

THEN, the VZW GS3 will get the Jellybean update some time next year after everyone else has it.
i disagree here...all S3's should receive their update just about the same time...

Of course, I'm referring to official OTA updates. There will likely be leaks, and custom ROMs that incorporate Jellybean (like CM10) but only time will tell if we get them working good on the VZW GS3. The development version will make it easier, but we really don't know yet how much development time will be put into it, or if everything will be interchangeable between the dev version and subsidized version.
as i posted JB is already available for our phones IF we were unlocked...

Upvote 0
the advantage with the Dev version is you dont have to wait for Samsung...for instance...here is a T-Mo Galaxy S3...you can read the version of Android for yourself...

d5sn.png

i disagree here...all S3's should receive their update just about the same time...

as i posted JB is already available for our phones IF we were unlocked...

I already differentiated between "official" and "custom" upgrade paths. I also mentioned being able to have JB earlier with a custom rom. But there's no way Samsung will be releasing official JB updates any time soon, which is why I differentiated in my comments.

And what does "about the same time" mean to you? There's no doubt in my mind that the VZW S3 will be the last US carrier to receive the JB update. Just look at the Galaxy Nexus updates. I'm sure Samsung will have JB ready for all of their devices at "about the same time", but remember that Verizon has to approve the update, and they are notoriously slow.

Those with a dev phone will likely get a leaked update earlier, or of course can install a custom rom. But from what I've read, CM10 is not working on the VZW variant yet (no data).

Upvote 0
I wasn't worried about unlimited data being lost due to how I was upgrading, but I went with the subsidized GS3 due to the fact that it was $400 cheaper. I personally don't mind locking myself into a contract and paying less for a phone as long as it's on my terms. While it's likely to be the last time this will be the case, upgrading to the GS3 made as much sense as any line I upgraded previously with Big Red.

I can't say I was pleased when it was announced that the bootloader was going to be locked. At the same time I wasn't all that worried about it, either. The Bionic was undernourished in the development department (mostly because of the bootloader, I'd imagine), but that didn't stop me from enjoying my very capable phone. I figured that if the development was at least as much for the Verizon GS3 as the Bionic (and really, how could it not), it'd be a great experience. That and the fact that Samsung and HTC have locked bootloaders in the past without impeding development, I was confident. I was further confident that after Samsung sent a GS2 to the CM team last year, that they wouldn't allow one carrier to ruin what appears to be a rep.

The fact that I'm now running Jellybean on my Verizon GS3 seems to suggest that, at least for now, I've made the right choice.

Upvote 0
I wasn't worried about unlimited data being lost due to how I was upgrading, but I went with the subsidized GS3 due to the fact that it was $400 cheaper. I personally don't mind locking myself into a contract and paying less for a phone as long as it's on my terms. While it's likely to be the last time this will be the case, upgrading to the GS3 made as much sense as any line I upgraded previously with Big Red.

I can't say I was pleased when it was announced that the bootloader was going to be locked. At the same time I wasn't all that worried about it, either. The Bionic was undernourished in the development department (mostly because of the bootloader, I'd imagine), but that didn't stop me from enjoying my very capable phone. I figured that if the development was at least as much for the Verizon GS3 as the Bionic (and really, how could it not), it'd be a great experience. That and the fact that Samsung and HTC have locked bootloaders in the past without impeding development, I was confident. I was further confident that after Samsung sent a GS2 to the CM team last year, that they wouldn't allow one carrier to ruin what appears to be a rep.

The fact that I'm now running Jellybean on my Verizon GS3 seems to suggest that, at least for now, I've made the right choice.

But wait, isn't this the first time Samsung has ever encrypted the bootloader?

Upvote 0
Good thread. So from what I understand the bootloader is locked, yet the S3 has been rooted? What's the difference? My only experience has been the Droid Eris. Basically rooting meant I could install roms. Can the S3 when rooted not do this? Not seeing the difference between dev model vs subsidized vzw if the latter can be rooted anyway. Unless rooting and loading a custom rom aren't really synonymous.

Upvote 0
Good thread. So from what I understand the bootloader is locked, yet the S3 has been rooted? What's the difference? My only experience has been the Droid Eris. Basically rooting meant I could install roms. Can the S3 when rooted not do this? Not seeing the difference between dev model vs subsidized vzw if the latter can be rooted anyway. Unless rooting and loading a custom rom aren't really synonymous.

They are not the same which is a common misconception. Verizon has gone all in on locking boot loaders in order to prevent people from getting free tethering(though that is now worthless thanks to the FCC ruling), reduce the amount of refurbs being issued to inexperienced people who brick their phone, and because their staff isn't equipped to offer customer support for every ROM on every phone. With the encrypted boot loader, it makes direct flashing of custom kernels, ROMs, and recoveries impossible. Obtaining root is thus harder, though exploits found can help you get root. An exploit was found to get root on the gs3, and later one that allows custom ROMs by bypassing the boot loader and booting straight into recovery each time. You will probably never see another subsidized phone or possibly any new phone with an unencrypted boot loader on Verizon ever again unless they somehow allow another nexus phone, and I doubt they will.

Reactions: nuismer
Upvote 0
With the encrypted boot loader, it makes direct flashing of custom kernels, ROMs, and recoveries impossible.
The locked bootloader only prevents flashing a custom kernel over the stock kernel. It does not prevent flashing custom ROMs and/or custom recoveries and has nothing to do with rooting the phone.

There is a workaround that puts a custom kernel in the recovery image and one boots into recovery to instead get a custom kernel. Again, this has nothing to do with rooting (root is Windows Administrator account counterpart).

Upvote 0
The locked bootloader only prevents flashing a custom kernel over the stock kernel. It does not prevent flashing custom ROMs and/or custom recoveries and has nothing to do with rooting the phone.

There is a workaround that puts a custom kernel in the recovery image and one boots into recovery to instead get a custom kernel. Again, this has nothing to do with rooting (root is Windows Administrator account counterpart).

Flashing custom ROMs and recoveries on this phone is an anomaly because on most Motorola devices with the encrypted boot loader, that is not possible without exploits. Unlike Motorola, they did not make it so that recovery.img has to be signed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones