• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Success - Turn 4G off and keep it off!

The best way to turn off 4G witout a restart, and still have it off even after a phone call/txt message involves downloading and app from the PlayStore called "Restart connections"
Then open the shortcut **583385## and select CDMA only mode.
Once you've done that, open the "restart connections" app and it'll cycle through your connections and land you at 3G.
4G will remain off from then on.

NOTES: This process is less succesful the other way around. (it may work 10% of the time, but most likely will fail if you are trying to jump back from 3G to 4GLTE mode).
You may have to open the "Restart Connections" app a couple of times to get it to actually reboot your connections, depending on the 4G state.
If it still can't go through after about 3 or 4 tries, you can manually close the 4G connection using the LTE Functionality Test Shortcut, and then retry restarting all the connections using "Restart Connections"

I suspect some faulty code from Samsung may be why it's required to go through hoops at times to restart all the connections, and requiring an actual reboot to jump back on 4G 90% of the time is only reinforcing that huntch of mine...

Upvote 0
The best way to turn off 4G witout a restart, and still have it off even after a phone call/txt message involves downloading and app from the PlayStore called "Restart connections"
Then open the shortcut **583385## and select CDMA only mode.
Once you've done that, open the "restart connections" app and it'll cycle through your connections and land you at 3G.
4G will remain off from then on.

NOTES: This process is less succesful the other way around. (it may work 10% of the time, but most likely will fail if you are trying to jump back from 3G to 4GLTE mode).
You may have to open the "Restart Connections" app a couple of times to get it to actually reboot your connections, depending on the 4G state.
If it still can't go through after about 3 or 4 tries, you can manually close the 4G connection using the LTE Functionality Test Shortcut, and then retry restarting all the connections using "Restart Connections"

I suspect some faulty code from Samsung may be why it's required to go through hoops at times to restart all the connections, and requiring an actual reboot to jump back on 4G 90% of the time is only reinforcing that huntch of mine...

I don't care about a reboot, I just want the shortcut I had back on my homescreen that took me directly to the same menu that **583385## takes me to.

Upvote 0
on the phones keypad dial: **583385##
You will then see the option to enable only CDMA.

after doing this it will say the action will take effect after the phones next reboot. Reboot the phone and it will now use 1X forever until you go back in there and turn LTE back on.

To turn 4G back on you are going to want to select Enable Global Mode. This will allow LTE and CDMA. If you select Enable LTE only it will turn on 4G but turn off CDMA meaning no phone calls.

Are you recommending this because 4G drains the battery so fast?

Upvote 0
on the phones keypad dial: **583385##
You will then see the option to enable only CDMA.

after doing this it will say the action will take effect after the phones next reboot. Reboot the phone and it will now use 1X forever until you go back in there and turn LTE back on.

To turn 4G back on you are going to want to select Enable Global Mode. This will allow LTE and CDMA. If you select Enable LTE only it will turn on 4G but turn off CDMA meaning no phone calls.

Please forgive my noobness, but isn't 4g super fast? Why would you want to disable it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones