• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Success!! WiFi Tethering!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
barnacle wifi is working on my phone, i canconnect using my laptop but not my wii or another phone. maybe it is a setting i need to change.

when i try to run barnacle wifi tether it tells me that my phone is not rooted and syppoed unexpectedly, so how did you get it to work?

it said it needed to access su which im guessin its superuser? which as far as i know , it hasnt been done yet :(

Upvote 0
Quick question: Anyone knows why the original password isn't saved in the .db file mentioned above? I can see the ssid just fine parsing through it, but the space where the password should be is null?!!? Was it purposefully misconfigured? Cause I'm thinking if so,we could make diff of it with a known working version from say a tmobile device and fix whatever they left vacant to thwart our efforts.

Upvote 0
Quick question: Anyone knows why the original password isn't saved in the .db file mentioned above? I can see the ssid just fine parsing through it, but the space where the password should be is null?!!? Was it purposefully misconfigured? Cause I'm thinking if so,we could make diff of it with a known working version from say a tmobile device and fix whatever they left vacant to thwart our efforts.

sounds like a good idea.

Upvote 0
The good news, It's one step closer. I got the hotspot to now act as DHCP server and give out ip info to connecting devices. I am then also able to PING address's from my connected devices.

Bad news, For some reason when trying to pull up a website the traffic doesnt seem to be routing over to the device so no its still not fully working.

This reminds me of the user agent issue. I often (and recently) tethered my Verizon MotoQ hacked to work on MetroPCS and wasnt able to browse the internet at all until I made firefox use a BLANK useragent (others suggested faking mobile IE or opera but never tried). \

If you search for the term "useragent" in the metropcs portion of the howardforums you'll see it mentioned a few times that the proxy on MetroPCS end blocks certain useragents.

I used https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/ on firefox and configured it to blank. Supposedly you can also do it through Firefox's "about:config" then change the "useragent" string from "firefox" to anything else

This was over the edge data network of course but worth a shot perhaps?

Upvote 0
I am running a stock 2.2.1 native Optimus M. I used Wireless Tether and it worked right away. You just have to give it SuperUser rights...
My issue is can we get the bluetooth to work right with a custom rom. On a lot of stock phone models programs like Wiimote Controller (See Market) don't work because the stock firmware won't let apps use bluetooth correctly. Some custom rom's have fixed this, can we merge that fix into our 2.2.1 rom?

Upvote 0
I am running a stock 2.2.1 native Optimus M. I used Wireless Tether and it worked right away. You just have to give it SuperUser rights...
My issue is can we get the bluetooth to work right with a custom rom. On a lot of stock phone models programs like Wiimote Controller (See Market) don't work because the stock firmware won't let apps use bluetooth correctly. Some custom rom's have fixed this, can we merge that fix into our 2.2.1 rom?

this is the indulge forum section not the Optimus M.

Upvote 0
Ok. Two things, one of which may be googlable (it'll catch on...)
1. Is the file build.prop in/system read on startup each time?
2. If the answer to (1) is yes, mike, since you're further along then everyone else, it seems, could you try changing in there the line that reads: ro.tether.disable=true to false and see if that helps, or should I just go to sleep (it IS kinda late atm...)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones