Success!

1. Geckobros

Geckobros Member

Rooting HTC Rhyme - Page 2 - xda-developers

HTC updated their list of of supported phones for bootloader unlocking. Wife's software revision was newer but it still worked. Root was near painless (had issues with computer recognizing phone, but I blame my pc). Used zergrush and viola!

Can't find a wireless tether program that works yet but titanium backup running like a champ. I also got rid of the bloat ware.

Happy New Year!

Advertisement
  2. TeaArra

TeaArra Member

Thanks for reporting this! Rooting my old Eris helped immensely but about the only thing I would need now is wireless tether. Let us know if you find one. BTW, I do like this phone, especially it's size.
  3. kingdieselfish

kingdieselfish New Member

What sofware version was it? It looks like my rhyme has 2.3.4 , as far as I know this is not rootable.
  4. Geckobros

Geckobros Member

Hers is 2.3.4 when I rooted it, so you should be golden. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.
  5. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

I've got 2.3.4 on my wifes Rhyme. I'm also using DoomLord2 Zergrush but its not working. It seems to go through the entire process just fine, but on reboot and test with titanium, nothing, no root. (?) below is which root process I used.

[ROOT]Sensation XL permanent root method. - xda-developers

Do we have to unlock the bootloader to get it to work?
  6. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

ok, so the previously posted Root method doesn't work for me, but I am a HTC Rezound owner, so I figured ZergRush is the core method that people are saying works, and that's whats been used on the Rezound (in 4 variations). I tested 2 and found one that does work on my wifes Rhyme! your mileage may vary (as it did on the Rezound).

If anyone else has issues with the one posted above try this one out. Worked for me! I had to try 3 times before it would finally stick. I only knew this because its similar to what originally happened on my rezound.

Keep in mind, if you reboot, it breaks Root. (unless you, probably, unlock the phone, but at this point I dont want to unlock and break the warranty). This way I can clean her phone up, but if anything goes wrong I can exchange the phone without issue.

[DEAD] Better Temp Root- Confirmed to Last Much Longer - xda-developers
  7. Virginmobileguy

Virginmobileguy Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Gingerbrake?
  8. RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2 Active Member

Hi,

I just bought my wife the Rhyme and I trying to root it too. I'm not having any luck. I run the ZergRush script and all I see is line after line of failed operations that say "device not found". The phone is fully conntected, debugging and unknown sources enabled. I even went through the HTC bootloader unlock process which was successful, but I'm still not getting root.

Any suggestions?
  9. AngieC

AngieC Member

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I found the bootloader site and want to run it. How though do I do it if I can't pull the battery?
  10. AngieC

AngieC Member

That was dumb. I figured it out. What I can't figure out now is where these files come from that I'm supposed to use to run this. I'm sorry, I know it's super dumb but I just don't understand. I'm computer savvy, but not that savvy.
  11. RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2 Active Member

You can't remove the battery on the Rhyme, but I was able to skip that part.

I have a rooted HTC Incredible and I'm finding that even though these two phones are HTC, they are quite a bit different. I was really spoiled by how easy it was to root my Incredible compared to my wife's Rhyme so far, which I'm still trying to figure out.

Here's how you get to the bootloader.

1. With the phone ON, push and HOLD the power button (just the power button) until the screen goes black and the phone shuts down. About 10 seconds.

2. Then push and hold the volume-down key and then the power button, HOLDING both continuously. Do not release buttons until the bootloader screen appears which should only take about two seconds.

3. Proceed with the HTC bootloader unlock from there.
    AngieC likes this.
  12. RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2 Active Member

I should remember this but it was a few days ago and I've been really busy, but I think that I got those files from the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) application available here.
  13. AngieC

AngieC Member

Thank you. I just downloaded them and I'm going to give it a whirl. I just got the rhyme on a free upgrade from the incredible. I never rooted that although I did consider it. This one drives me nuts with the Wi-Fi notification I can't turn off.
  14. RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2 Active Member

Yeah, the Rhyme is one of those phones that really needs to be rooted.

if you haven't started yet, be forewarned that the bootloader unlock process is a bit lengthy. Not too difficult once I worked through a few hiccups, but it took me about 30-45 minutes.

Now, just so you know, the bootloader unlock is not rooting, but a recommended step towards rooting. I have not been able to find a method of rooting that works for me yet. So, if you find one that works, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks.

PS - and do take strong notice of the warning that the bootloader unlock process WILL completely wipe and reset your phone to factory status.
  15. AngieC

AngieC Member

yuck, yuck! i was hoping this would be quick and painless. i downloaded the file and it's running updates now. i hope i'm doing this right. it says a lot of the things aren't even installed but it's installing them now. it would help i suppose if i had some clue as to what i am doing. this technical stuff kind of boggles my mind though.
    i do realize this isn't really rooting but at the same time i'm hoping i can just get the wi-fi notice gone and later i'll root when someone finds an answer as to how to do it so it works. i did look but didn't find anything that appeared to work. if i find it, i'll let you know. thanks for all of your help!
  16. RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2 Active Member

If you're talking about the small WiFi icon in the notification bar, that will go away when to turn WiFi off. You can do that through Menu > settings > wireless & networks.
  17. AngieC

AngieC Member

ok. little issue. i downloaded the sdk thing and found the first file they told me to but i don't see the fastboot under the tools folder.
  18. AngieC

AngieC Member

sorry. i found the link for it.
  19. RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2 Active Member

The fastboot.exe file is in the platform-tools folder.
  20. AngieC

AngieC Member

Anyone out there?

I got through almost everything and am stuck in the command prompt screen. it now says it's waiting for device.

I don't want to unplug and ruin it. help!
  21. mrbuilder

mrbuilder Member

Did you succeed? I'd like to give it a shot on my wife's Rhyme and have trying work up the nerve... :)
  22. AngieC

AngieC Member

No. I got to the last step and it wouldn't communicate with my phone so I gave up.