• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

successful returns for light leakage?

Same deal with me. Light leakage was horrible ONTO the LCD display from under the bezel, not so much around the capacitive buttons.

Radio Shack said I'd have to wait a while for an exchange because EVOs weren't coming in, but hey presto, the very next day I got a call saying my replacement had arrived, so you never know, you might get lucky.

So here's a few things I noticed already about this 0003 EVO over the 0002 I replaced:

1) Rubberized battery cover instead of harder plastic cover fits snugly and stays on tight
2) No light leakage onto LCD or around capacitive buttons yet (we know, however, that this might not remain like this, so I'll keep a careful eye on it!)
3) Grounding issue gone, works now on flat surface "ungrounded"
4) My old EVO's capacitive buttons would remain on ALWAYS, regardless of whether it was in a dark or light place. In the dark, and not on a charger, they'd be ever so slightly lit. New EVO doesn't exhibit this: lights come on and off when used and then switched off as expected. Perhaps this might save some battery energy too.

Upvote 0
You guys are not alone. Check mine out. I can fit my blockbuster membership card in the gap. :( Just waiting for some more to be in stock.

CIMG1856500x333.jpg

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa... whoa...

You still use blockbuster?

Reactions: acp and JunBringer
Upvote 0
Same deal with me. Light leakage was horrible ONTO the LCD display from under the bezel, not so much around the capacitive buttons.

Radio Shack said I'd have to wait a while for an exchange because EVOs weren't coming in, but hey presto, the very next day I got a call saying my replacement had arrived, so you never know, you might get lucky.

So here's a few things I noticed already about this 0003 EVO over the 0002 I replaced:

1) Rubberized battery cover instead of harder plastic cover fits snugly and stays on tight
2) No light leakage onto LCD or around capacitive buttons yet (we know, however, that this might not remain like this, so I'll keep a careful eye on it!)
3) Grounding issue gone, works now on flat surface "ungrounded"
4) My old EVO's capacitive buttons would remain on ALWAYS, regardless of whether it was in a dark or light place. In the dark, and not on a charger, they'd be ever so slightly lit. New EVO doesn't exhibit this: lights come on and off when used and then switched off as expected. Perhaps this might save some battery energy too.

Well, I've got an 0002 and I've got the rubberized flat black back, no grounding issues, but slight light leakage (which I do not care about as long as the screen doesn't really come up). I did not get mine on the opening day though.

Upvote 0
You guys are not alone. Check mine out. I can fit my blockbuster membership card in the gap. :( Just waiting for some more to be in stock.

CIMG1856500x333.jpg

Damn thats crazy. I wouldn't even want to walk around with that as my brand new phone. I would have just asked for a refund that looks terrible. I'm sure this photo will be on engadet soon to add to the drumb beat of bad evo news.

Upvote 0
I took my EVO to the Sprint store today to exchange it. My EVO has very bad backlight bleed. I'm not concerned with bleed under the buttons. Mine is showing on the LCD screen above the buttons. i compared it with two demo units at 2 different stores ant there was no comparison. Mine was like 4 times worse. The first store told me there was a waiting list and that they had to work through that list first before I could get mine exchanged. I was not too happy about this.

The second store(the store I originally purchased from) said they didn't have any and would try to repair it first. I wasn't happy about this either being that the phone is two weeks old and I paid FULL retail for it. It just doesn't seem like a new phone anymore when someone has to work on it. Anyway - I let them take it to the back and come back an hour later. The lady hands me the phone and said they put a new screen on it. Well - I could still see the backlight bleed but it was not nearly as bad as before but not as good as the display model. i told her I still wasn't happy with it and she said she would call me when they got new ones in and I could exchange it. Also they appeared to have installed a screen protector(more on this later).

After getting home(an hour drive) I noticed the battery cover wouldn't snap down in one corner. I pulled it off and notice the screw on the corner wasn't in all the way. Something just didn't seem right about the phone. I pulled the battery and looked at the serial number and MEID numbers. NONE of them matched my original box ----WTF---. I did a ##786 and the numbers there matched my original box. So - - - it seems that they tried to pull a fast one on me. I've got someone elses phone. They had to have cloned EVERYTHING off my old phone to this one. I thought they may have just swapped housings but the tag with all of the numbers is attached to the main board. Oh - and the screen protector had scratches on it. I was only looking for backlight bleed in the store and didn't notice this. Needless to say I'm furious. Guess I'll just have to wait for them to get more in stock

Dude you can get your phone for free. Call Sprint and tell them what the sprint store did then ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for a credit for this lie/inconvenience.

Im on my second one same issue. I sent HTC an email and see what they can do for me. I rather have them test one before I get it.

Upvote 0
Dude you can get your phone for free. Call Sprint and tell them what the sprint store did then ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for a credit for this lie/inconvenience.

Im on my second one same issue. I sent HTC an email and see what they can do for me. I rather have them test one before I get it.

They said that I have to go back to the original store. Just got off the phone with them and they created a ticket for the tech to see. The rep on the phone said he thought they just mixed up the cases. I don't think so. I took it apart and the MEID sticker is affixed to the main board which contains the flash and other goodies. I really believe they cloned my old phone to this one. Sure looks that way. I may just have to see if I can get this for free for all the inconvenience. The rep on the phone wanted me to go back ASAP. Told him I was tired of the hour drives(one way).

Attachments

• Phone 2.jpg
    Phone 2.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Phone1.jpg
    Phone1.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
They said that I have to go back to the original store. Just got off the phone with them and they created a ticket for the tech to see. The rep on the phone said he thought they just mixed up the cases. I don't think so. I took it apart and the MEID sticker is affixed to the main board which contains the flash and other goodies. I really believe they cloned my old phone to this one. Sure looks that way. I may just have to see if I can get this for free for all the inconvenience. The rep on the phone wanted me to go back ASAP. Told him I was tired of the hour drives(one way).

wow. You know if you didnt catch that and latter on you would have a huge issue. You would have no proof that this was not a stolen phone or anything like that. I would fight hard, try getting to the retention department.

Upvote 0
wow. You know if you didnt catch that and latter on you would have a huge issue. You would have no proof that this was not a stolen phone or anything like that. I would fight hard, try getting to the retention department.

Yeah - I know. The rep on the phone was a little concerned. He didn't really understand at first and then it sank in. He was wanting me to go back down there tonight.

Upvote 0
Damn thats crazy. I wouldn't even want to walk around with that as my brand new phone. I would have just asked for a refund that looks terrible. I'm sure this photo will be on engadet soon to add to the drumb beat of bad evo news.

Yeah all my Iphone loving buddies are laughing hysterically at me. Not cool.:mad: I wish Radio Shack had them in stock.

Upvote 0
mlr_90 -- very similar to my issue, and i'm glad i got it taken care of and got it replaced. there's definitely no pattern between 0003s and 0002s regarding batteries, SD cards, battery covers, etc... it's pretty much a crap-shoot what you end up with! i suppose i happened to get a poorly made evo on launch day and have fortunately got it replaced with a decent one now. evidently, we're just a small minority who ended up with some shoddy evos. i love the phone, happy with sprint, android, and everything to do with what the phone can do, it was just a bummer to be so excited on launch day and get a poorly made one.

Upvote 0
My radio shack is telling me they won't order a replacement for me and to call the shack customer service. Anyone else get this run around?

If they are giving you this run around tell them you are within your 30 days, and they can either give you a new one or you can just return it get your money back and buy one at the sprint store. They have to exchange it, don't accept that crap. Eso es mierda y tu lo sabes. Although they might stick you with the non-refundable gift card. But they will have to put that 50 back on gift card and give you 150 plus the 50 dollar gift card. I know it sucks but at least you can use it towards something else.

If that doesn't work, ask to talk to the manager or DM. Or try a different RS. You see they don't make commission on exchanges only on new activations, that's probably why they don't want to work with you.

Reactions: Novoken
Upvote 0

CIMG1856500x333.jpg

Wow, thats nuts! Mine is nothing close to that bad. I just have minor light leak under the buttons but my screen is not coming up. I have the gel case on, so I dont even notice the light leak so I dont really care. Unless my screen starts coming off.

Upvote 0
My radio shack is telling me they won't order a replacement for me and to call the shack customer service. Anyone else get this run around?

If they are giving you this run around tell them you are within your 30 days, and they can either give you a new one or you can just return it get your money back and buy one at the sprint store. They have to exchange it, don't accept that crap. Eso es mierda y tu lo sabes. Although they might stick you with the non-refundable gift card. But they will have to put that 50 back on gift card and give you 150 plus the 50 dollar gift card. I know it sucks but at least you can use it towards something else.

If that doesn't work, ask to talk to the manager or DM. Or try a different RS. You see they don't make commission on exchanges only on new activations, that's probably why they don't want to work with you.

Not sure if your trying to circumvent the forum word filter, but I'm sure what you said was fine.

Translation: "that is shit and you know it"

Oh and apparently HTC is promising the next batch is going to be substantial better. (Via: engadget) this may be true, as AFAIK Sprint is breathing down their backs big time on this one. If I was Dan Hesse I would have put my foot up HTC's digital behind. Let's hope so.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
Not sure if your trying to circumvent the forum word filter, but I'm sure what you said was fine.

Oh and apparently HTC is promising the next batch is going to be substantial better. (Via: engadget) this may be true, as AFAIK Sprint is breathing down their backs big time on this one. If I was Dan Hesse I would have put my foot up HTC's digital behind. Let's hope so.

Sorry did I break any rules?

Upvote 0

Oh a

Sorry did I break any rules?

I don't think so, but we all speak english here hehe. So it may just be easier that way... plus some people don't like when they don't understand things/might take it the wrong way, so personally id just avoid it.

But its your call, and unless the mods/admins say something to you, I wouldn't worry about it. *but* circumventing the word filters is frowned upon.

Btw, how close was my translation? My spanish isn't very strong =p

Upvote 0
I don't think so, but we all speak english here hehe. So it may just be easier that way... plus some people don't like when they don't understand things/might take it the wrong way, so personally id just avoid it.

But its your call, and unless the mods/admins say something to you, I wouldn't worry about it. *but* circumventing the word filters is frowned upon.

Btw, how close was my translation? My spanish isn't very strong =p

Not bad, but mierda is a Spanish slang phrase for bullsh*t. The only reason why I put that sentence in Spanish, was because I noticed that the poster that I was responding to, has his user name as M3Latino. That's all.

Upvote 0

The manager at my Radio Shack said the supply is so limited that the corporate office has made it mandatory for a pre-order to be in place at a store before they will ship any more units to that store. this means buying another non-refundable gift card...

She said they will NOT be getting another Evo in-stock without a preorder or the supply issue being resolved. (ie they get enough in the warehouse to send a couple to every single Radio Shack store and still have stock in the warehouse to replenish any stores that sell theirs.

I wouldn't bother returning most of these because you're likely to get the same problem again. You get a year warranty on your hardware so I'd wait until they definitely fix these problems.

That is only if something does not happen to the phone first, I have been thinking a lot about that, I'd rather return it now for one that might be better, and then if I drop it, have a cracked phone without the hardware issues that is no longer covered by the manufacturer warrenty, then to wait for them to fix it, drop it, and have it not covered and have to live with a defective phone that is cracked...

Upvote 0
Its been over 2 weeks and RS still hasn't had any in stock to exchange out for me. I have even called all the Radio Shacks in a 200 mile radius and they are all out. This sucks because my glass is so f*ked up that I don't even carry the phone with me any more for fear of it screwing something else up then RS will tell me that I'm SOL, not to mention when I pull it out people are like what the hell is wrong with your phone? Sprint should take care of the people that bought phones else where instead of giving them the run around. They gave me 3 options. 1. take it back to RS and get it exchanged for free ( I'm like free? I paid over 200$ for it.) 2. Use my insurance pay the 100$ dollar deductible and get a new one. 3. Get a refurb upon availability without paying the deductible. What a crock of S*it. I have had an optimistic attitude and have been very patient. But its been 2 weeks or so and I'm still stuck with my defective phone. I am getting to the point that I just want to return it and use my old ass Katana 2 till HTC can ship me a new phone. By the way HTC gave me a 3-6 week time frame in receiving a replacement through their 1 year manufactuers warranty. But I will have to wait til my 30 days are up. Thats two more weeks plus the 3-6 weeks. Thats like 2 months of waiting for a new phone through them. I'm not a happy camper! Sorry for ranting guys. :mad::(:mad::(

This what I have to put up with. :(

CIMG1861400x410.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones