• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Successful root access, unsuccessful ROM install

mordo

Mar 15, 2010
Mobtown
Droid 1 with 2.2 FRG83D

Neophyte root user here. Rooted with Super One Click using the psneuter exploit.

I cannot flash a new ROM to this device. In ROM Manager, I download Cyanogen, for example. Choose ADW Launcher, Backup + wipe data. When the phone reboots, I get the exclamation mark in the triangle. I have tried other ROMs like Bugless Beast and an earlier stock build, no joy.

Also notable, cannot reboot with X + power on. Get the same error screen.

I have done a lot of searching and reading here and elsewhere and am simply baffled.

Please advise.

And this is what some of us don't like about the 'one click root' apps. Most of them do not follow up, nor install a custom recovery to your A855 phone.

And now I'm going to have to explore the "psneuter exploit", as I thought Super One Root used the RATC exploit . . . . Unless the OP wants to clarify . . . .

Expecting a one click root app to install a custom recovery to your phone is like installing Internet Explorer and expecting it to write a web page for you. The two are completely different. Root is simply obtaining super user permissions. A one click root app does exactly that, it gives you root. A recovery program is completely separate.

You wouldn't install a sunroof on your car and expect it to add horsepower to your engine.

Upvote 0
And this is what some of us don't like about the 'one click root' apps. Most of them do not follow up, nor install a custom recovery to your A855 phone.

And now I'm going to have to explore the "psneuter exploit", as I thought Super One Root used the RATC exploit . . . . Unless the OP wants to clarify . . . .

The current build of SuperOneClick offers two option to root - psneuter and RATC. It opens with psneuter checked. Knowing nothing about either, I went with default.

Upvote 0
Well I googled psneuter and found mostly references to it from HTC devices. It seems to be a different approach than RATC insomuch as it tries to trick adb to root through some manipulation of it's checking of ro.secure. Using it with supe one root requires the additional psneuter and one other file to be in your adb tools directory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones