• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SuckFire under Virgin Mobile

TexAz

Lurker
May 16, 2012
Has anyone really rooted the Virgin Mobile HTC Wildfire S, I have tried the HTC Boot Unlocker to start that doesn't work for me. The phone plugged into PC is not even acknowledged so how can I root it. What i really need to do is to get the wifi hotspot to work on this phone, from reading other posts this options has been removed for the Virgin Moble phone only. Why? Can this be reversed?
My LG Optimus V was a much better phone than this one. Anyone else out there having this issue? Very frusterated here with my Wildfire, more like SuckFire!:mad:

You don't need wifi on your phone to root.
If your pc cannot see your phone, it's probably because the driver is missing. Make sure you have downloaded HTC sync but also make sure it's not running in the background or you will get an error.
Give us a bit mor info about your phone:
Is it GSM of CDMA, S-ON or S-OFF
Depending on the phone you have, the methods will be different.

Upvote 0
You have a MarvelC/A510c. With that device, it's easier to root by gaining S-OFF. Follow this guide under "S-OFF":
[Tutorial] How to root CDMA wildfire s and s-off and other great tutorials - xda-developers

Then come back here and finish rooting with steps 4 & 5 of this guide:
[Tutorial] How to root CDMA wildfire s and s-off and other great tutorials - xda-developers

About the wifi hotspot thing, don't know. I don't use them. It's not the Wildfire S's fault. It comes with wifi tethering by default and VM has removed it. But the WFS is a great little device.

Upvote 0
How does one know if S-on or off, Ran HTC sync NO-Device connected when Wildfire IS connected! What other drivers needed here???? That's why frustration level is Extremely high here!! Seems to work for others not here.... Running Windows 8 CP 64bit everything works great just the phone thing does not??? Thanks for your replies CafeKampucha & Caro332!

Without HTC Sync what else can I do here?? This method isn't working here! What is MarvelC/A510c and how does one find out. To me it's just a HTC Wildfire S under Virgin Mobile service who took my WiFi hotspot away!

Upvote 0
Calm down im in the same boat only a little further i got s off with htc dev did you get adb running properly and set your path in environment variables also is sync working for you if not perhaps (im trying this tonight to get it working after unlock) uninstall all the htc divers and htc sync and only install htc sync. And be sure to set device manager to let you decide wether to install drivers or not. Other wize stock drivers will automatically reinstall. And be sure you have disabled your antivirus.

Upvote 0
I think this might be the problem:
Seems to work for others not here.... Running Windows 8 CP 64bit everything works great just the phone thing does not???

HTC Sync Install Instructions
2. Software Requirements - Supported Operating Systems (PC)

• Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 and 3 (32-Bit)
  • Windows Vista Ultimate / Enterprise / Business/ Home Premium/ Home Basic Edition (32 & 64-Bit) Service Pack 1
  • Windows 7 Ultimate/ Professional/ Home Premium / Home Basic Edition (32 & 64-Bit)
  • Microsoft Office Outlook 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010-32 & 64bit.
No Windows 8 in the list. You might need to get dual boot going or find another computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones