Sudden boost in battery life: Coincidence?General

Last Updated:

1. veg-0-matic

veg-0-matic Well-Known Member

My Optimus V has never had really good battery life, but I'd say it was adequate. Lately, though, it's been having an almost-daily freakout wherein the phone would heat up and the battery would discharge rapidly. I'm not sure what caused that.
    Anyway, I'd been becoming more and more frustrated with the Facebook app--I'd say it only worked about 10% of the time. I'd fire up the app and it would sit and load and load and load and never really get anywhere. I mostly use my phone for email, Words With Friends, texting, and FB. Hardly any phone calls.
    I took the advice of someone on the board and just started using the browser for FB. Why I never thought of that in the first place, is proof of what a knucklehead I can be.
    Anyway, since I've stopped using the FB app, I suddenly have a ton of battery life. When I plugged it in last night at 10:00 (having been on and lightly used since 8:00AM), I still had 60% charge. Normally. it would have been in the 20% range.
    After a couple of days of increased battery life, I uninstalled the FB app. That didn't cause any significant change.
    Could this just be a coincidence? It's been going on for 4 or 5 days now. Still, coincidence or not, I'm happy with the extra juice I'm getting!

2. UnixPimp

UnixPimp Well-Known Member

That Facebook app is a piece of crap. (and that rhymes!)

It is a memory and storage space hog.

Older versions used to have a serious issue with killing the battery. I would not doubt that the latest version has similar issues.

One thing you can try is to change the refresh interval in the settings. Set it to 1 hour or greater.
  3. Guian

Guian Well-Known Member

4. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

I use Friendcaster instead of Facebook's app. Mainly because it has more features and generally works better. If you prefer an app to the mobile site, give it a try.
    nanzo and AndyOpie150 like this.
  5. Caleo

Caleo Member

I discovered the facebook app was keeping my phone in a constant wakelock status (the phone wouldn't go into low-power sleep mode). Uninstalling it alleviated the problem.
  6. mackdieselx27

mackdieselx27 Member

+1 for Friendcaster.
  7. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

I use the Facebook app but I always kill it by holding back button so it doesn't stay running. Been meaning to get rid of it. I'll try friendcaster
  8. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

The Facebook app also, by default, updates postings constantly, even when off. You can change this option in the app settings. And you can also use a taskkiller (though I know some here don't like those).

I usually use the mobile site because the app is so sluggish.
  9. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

facebook app is dumb though, as the only usefulness is being able to send pics direct to your page, that all it does, everything else is the same when you visit FB with your cell without the app. might as well just be a dumb link app.
  10. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member

LOL...why do you think it's a coincidence...seems rather obvious to me what was causing your battery drain.
  11. nanzo

nanzo Active Member

Installed Friendcaster today and love it.... thanks for the tip!
  12. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

Friendcaster works pretty well :)
  13. metal571

metal571 Well-Known Member

+1 again for Friendcaster. Facebook devs have absolutely no idea how to make an Android app. Heck, even some of my iPhone-toting friends have even complained quite often how bad the official app is for them too.