Sudden Possessed Touchscreen-HELP!General

Last Updated:

1. rmartin27

rmartin27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Navigating my Eris has become a never ending battle. It started yesterday. As i navigate my menus or scroll..w.e im doing, the phone will just scroll and choose things when im not even touching the screen. I cant even choose the right app when I use my app drawer and have been getting force closes a lot when trying to tinker with Main phone settings. Any ideas?

BTW I am on 2.1 V2 and have been for some time.
    -Haven't had a task killer, but I did download ATK just to see if that would solve it and Nope.

Advertisement
  2. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

That's happened to me once or twice, and shutting down and then restarting has cured it.

If that doesn't help, the next step is to do a battery pull.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Are you plugged in when this happens? If so, try a different charging cable/USB cable. If not, check your trackball it is probably dirty or has something caught in it.

4. plugnpl4y

plugnpl4y Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the cause is, but i've also noticed some strange touch screen behavior. mine usually happens when backing out of applications. it will return to the home screen, hit the "phone" button, and then select the first name in the list.

5. xandman96

xandman96 Member

this always happens to me when im charging my phone whether thru computer or standard house charger....ive tried diffrent cables and everything els possible....and there is no known permanent cure.....also it started happening to me wen i was running 1.5....i thought upgrading to the leaked 2.1 would fix it but it made it even worse

6. smacky

smacky Banned

Yeah, it's best not to mess with your phone too much while it's charging. Simple activities like calling will work, but the keyboard when texting will go haywire. Not sure why. I thought it had something to do with the electrics of the phone and the touchscreen and the fact that it was charging. Doesn't happen on my Touch, but...

7. AudiDan

AudiDan Well-Known Member

Since the op has not responded I am assuming a user error? No or ?

8. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

I often use my phone while charging. No problems. Ever. Leak 1. I'm plugged in to my old Moto Q9c charger right now.

9. theboo7

theboo7 Well-Known Member

it happends to me when my phone over heatss

10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I was able to duplicate the reported bad effects by using an old charging cable. I switched back to my stock Eris cable and used texting as well as browsing around, the phone and Market with no problems, as usual.

OTD's, "try a different charging cable/USB cable" makes the most sense to me, therefor, in this case.

11. rmartin27

Sorry helpers, I been working too much the past few days. But no it does not have anything to do with being plugged in. Also, I do a battery pull and it solves the problem only for a few minutes. It sucks not being able to use the web because of this!

12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

If a battery pull temporarily solves the issue(s), I'd start to suspect a running app that kicks in at some point following boot-up and use of the device.

Your problems seem serious enough to take the time to remove all apps and testing the device until it works properly, then reinstall apps one at a time, stopping once a newly re-installed app ignites the bad behavior(s). Then, of course, do away with that app.

bberryhill0 likes this.
  13. rmartin27

Thanks for all the help fellow droid junkies. The first thing I thought it could be was that I am using Helix for my Home. So I set Sense as the default in home switcher to see if has something to do with it and for the moment it seems its not the problem. It is starting to freeze my phone when I open the App drawer. I am leaning toward reloading the 2.1 v2? Is that what I should do? I did also delete about 5 or 6 apps that I recently download since this problem arose.

14. mikem3223

mikem3223 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing no one has since solved the issue? Mine started with the leak and had continued with swype. I am pretty sure mine is trackball related because the icons highlight the way they would with a trackball scroll. Mine is worse with cable in as well.

15. edgeupgx

edgeupgx Well-Known Member

I had to respond to this as my wife is having similar problems she is rooted and now running the lastest rom from ivan just the standard 2.1. We noticed it will just scroll all the way to the left sometimes opening a random thing up on the phone most of the time not. So I figured hey let do a full wipe through recovery image and upload a newer rom which is the latest ivan well shortly after without installing any apps from the market place it is doing it again. Another thing we have noticed is sometimes on various sites symbols and gibberish will be inserted into normal text that does not show up on my phone when viewing the same material. Getting ready to roll back to 1.5 and unroot. To claim warranty unless anyone else has any ideas

16. rmartin27

What I did was reload the software. I thought my phone was cured, but nope. It lasted only about 2 days. I thought it was app related but it can't be, cuz I didnt have any apps when it started again. Seems like there's no fix...

17. edgeupgx

Well if we wipe totally and its still doing then I would have to assume its hard ware related. Gonna roll back her phone to 1.5 sometime next day or two and see what results that brings. I will post if the total wipe then rollback and unroot fixes the issue if not at that point it has to be hardware.

18. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

Wow. A lot of people seem to be having this problem now. Mine's been doing this for 3+ weeks. I've tried a lot of different fixes. I noticed that removing the screen protector vastly improved the issue when my phone isn't plugged in. I basically cannot use my phone when it is plugged in - including answering phone calls.

19. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

http://androidforums.com/574792-post9.html

I've had this problem millions of times. Four different Eris's. Five if you count my friends that does it REALLY bad. I posted an explanation here.

And answering phone calls and making them should be fine with the physical call/end buttons, and the trackball to choose a contact.

20. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

Do you have a screen protector? How are you holding your phone exactly? I noticed after installing a Zagg screen protector that sometimes my palm can trigger an icon or something on the screen if it's too close to the edge of the phone/screen. It's like it made the edges overly sensitive? It doesn't happen too often though.

21. edgeupgx

Update as of right now the problem has not happened in 24hours. My wifes phone was also having a battery problem where the phone would shutdown every now and then sometimes only coming back on by plugging in the charger and turning it on. No the battery was not dead and needed a charge just something screwey with it well we got the battery replaced via warranty and have not had the problem with crazy screen scrolling since.