Sudden screen crackSupport

Last Updated:

1. MDKtm

MDKtm Member This Topic's Starter

Sitting at work, with my week old Desire on my desk. Just glanced at it and there is a sudden deep diagonal crack running across its screen. Wasn't there half a minute ago and the phone has been lying flat and untouched with screen off...

Advertisement
    mahi_1977 likes this.
  2. david70136

david70136 Member

OMG you sure no
    One has touched it?

3. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

hmm,very strange. can't imagine what coul've happened. although Nexus one had problems with screen cracking but not sure how legitimate these claims were (as some people sit with the phone being in the back pocket)
    maybe temperate caused it?
    give us some pics.

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

May have gotten a hairline fracture at some point if you have dropped or banged it. Over time stress may cause it to fully crack :/ You will be covered by manufacturer guarantee i think anyway.

5. MDKtm

Phone is a new, only week old. I've only sent 2 texts on it and not even made a call. Its never been in a pocket. It is sitting on my desk, flat and untouched. No-one touched it. It happened suddenly, next to me of its own accord. The outside glass is still smooth so it cracked from the inside.

My phone provider has just told me they will not cover it by the warranty as the phone is physically damaged and its not a software fault.

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

HTC offer the manufacturer warranty, call them directly. As its cracked from the inside they should cover it anyway.

cookie18m and MDKtm like this.
  7. MDKtm

I have just emailed HTC in the UK and will let you know what happens. But it has scared me about the Desire screen. It really has.

8. nekromantik

nekromantik Well-Known Member

wow thats worrying ha ha
    my Desire will arrive Monday.

9. 2003vstrom

2003vstrom Well-Known Member

you guys think maybe the screen might me not mounted solidly and allowing it to flex just enough to crack? or the whole phone is flexing:eek:

10. MDKtm

Who knows but, as I said, no pressure was being applied to the screen. It was lying on it's own, not being touched and just cracked from the inside.

11. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

12. Case

Case Well-Known Member

A mobile phone that doesn't go in your pocket?

Useful.

13. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I'm sorry but I don't see anything in either of those articles that suggest these phones don't belong in pockets, or that HTC issued a statement saying anything like this??

The closest thing I found was:

Think about it, tight jeans, as in skin tight barely have enough room for coins, never mind a phone. If you sit down in these there is the potential to literally bend the phone in half, not by much, but you can see how a little bend could crack glass right??

Sorry for being an ass about it, but honestly, silly comments like this can spread and become "truth", where no truth exists at all.

cookie18m likes this.
  14. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

For those who didn't read it carefully, it says this in the article:

15. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Do you have pics?

Is your desk under an AC vent?

16. MDKtm

The insurers covering my Desire finally replaced it, although it was obvious from telephone conversations that absolutely no-one believed the crack had appeared on its own.

The new one arrived with a new information sticker on the screen saying not to exert too much pressure on the touchscreen and not to carry it in pockets – odd for a mobile phone.

17. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

Did they replace the whole phone or just the screen, mate?

I was just about to mention the sticker which was on my handset when I received it.

It clearly stated to not put too much pressure on the screen and not to carry it in your pocket.

If I remember right, it's exact wording said something about "don't carry device in pants pocket" or something like that.

I suppose the warning is so HTC can ask if the phone is stored in a pocket occasionally and when the customer says yes, they can say: "Well it said on the packaging not to carry the phone in your pocket, so we aren't replacing it."

18. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

It's been widely reported all over the tech blogs (even Engadget covered it and they're not known for posting regurgitated news).

I get the feeling that with some people (;)), when they are trawling the net for negative press on certain other devices, they are belligerently ignoring negative press on their own platform.

All devices have problems. Totally denying this whiffs of fanboyism of the worst kind.

I look after my devices extremely well. They are always 'as new' when I have finished with them. If my Desire developed this same problem, I would be inserting into someone at Carphone warehouse. It's a

19. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Yah. I've had the entire electrical system in my previous car (cough Peugeot cough) replaced ... they claimed it's not supposed to be washed. :confused: It had other engineering issues too, so I won't be buying that brand again.

20. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

Of course it doesn't like being washed - it's French.

21. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

My sticker said "Please remove from pants pocket before sitting down" (I remembered it because "pants" is teh funny), which to me is a clear statement that I can carry it in my pocket as long as I don't sit with it in there.

22. mikebell

mikebell Well-Known Member

HTC are covering their arses.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

23. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

lulz :D

24. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

+1 for not wearing tight jeans.

25. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

My old samsung got a crack to which I discovered when I woke up one morning... Though it seemed like it had just cracked in the night, i'd be willing to bet that I knocked it whilst in my pocket and it cracked but I didn't notice due to it being night time...

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that your screen just cracked "on its own"... it's just not possible... what scientifically understood process would allow this?