1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Suddenly grayed out data/wifi icons

1. R4V3NCL4WD

R4V3NCL4WD New Member

The data and wifi icons are have been grayed out for the past few days. They used to be blue. I read that this has something to do with being connected to the Google Services/Servers but my Gmail & Play Store apps are working fine. I'm just worried that something else is wrong.

The problem started after I improperly installed a Cyanogen Mod nightly build ROM. I've done this properly before via Clockworkmod but I did it a different way, via CW Updater, and the phone was messed up. At first I couldn't even get it on, then the lock screen kept turning off, then the screen kept turning off, etc... Then I noticed the issue with the data and wifi icons and that the ROM didn't have a Gmail or Play app. I rolled back to the version I had and discovered that the Gmail and Play apps would turn off seconds after starting. I finally did a factory reset. Now everything is fine except for the icons.

Is there an issue or can I just ignore the grayed out icons?

Advertisement
    :
  2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

This happens every once in a blue moon on my gs2, if it's like mine, eventually your data will stop working and a reflash of the rom will get it going again.

DS
    R4V3NCL4WD likes this.
  3. R4V3NCL4WD

R4V3NCL4WD New Member

What if I'm not using the custom ROM anymore? Does that mean I have to do another factory reset? I actually did a second reset because I was switching phones.

And thanx for such a quick reply!
  4. DragonSlayer95

Stock rom? Or not rooted at all?

If a stock rom, well I've never experienced this except while on a cm10 based rom and a flash always fixed it.

As I said above, this shouldn't happen if your unrooted, if it does, a call to carrier would be in order to see what's up since it's a sign of data loss.

When they greyed out, was you using a root required app? Reason I ask, mine Grey out when I use a particular root required app.

DS
  5. R4V3NCL4WD

R4V3NCL4WD New Member

It is no longer rooted. I guess I'm on a Stock Rom. I flashed it with Odin. I guess I can try to reflash it in the morning. And I don't think I was using a root required app. I think I was too busy freaking out over my phone.
  6. DragonSlayer95

If it's not rooted, then you can't flash anything.

If everything seems fine, I wouldn't sweat it, but if it is bothering you, I'd try a factory reset.

DS